Mr.Eko The Saviour

I was listening to the latest podcast from our friends at Lostcasts earlier today and they had some really good theories on some of the latest events on Lost.

Something I liked in particular was their theory behind Mr.Eko’s reasons for building a church. I hope i’m not posting any spoilers here, but I think we heard Eko and Charlie telling Bernard in the last Lost episode, that what they where building near the beach was actually a church.

When Bernard questioned their decision to build a church, Mr.Eko replied:

“People are saved in different ways Bernard…”

This would probably mean that Eko intends to save their souls through Christianity, but the guys at Lostcasts had an idea that took the concept even further.

Unless you are one of those fans who fall asleep during one of the most thrilling moments of an entire season of Lost, you will probably remember Mr.Eko’s confrontation with the smoke monster. All that happened was that the smoke appeared to either scan or implant memories into the mind of Mr.Eko and then it simply went back into the jungle. Charlie, who was sitting in a tree, watching the whole thing, didn’t get hurt either.

You might also remember that Locke has had two encounters with the smoke monster. The first time, we never saw the smoke, but most fans assume that it was the smoke that he looked upon when he had seen into the eye of the island, as he so poetically put it. That time, nothing happened to Locke, but the second time that he encountered the smoke monster, he was dragged through the jungle and was even very close to getting dragged underground by what appeared to be a pretty angry cloud of smoke.

One of the popular ideas in the fan community is that the the smoke monster’s different behavior in these situations could have to do with how it interprets the person it is confronting and “scanning”. The first time Locke encountered the smoke monster, he was very secure in his faith both in himself and the island, while the monster’s violent behavior at their second date could be explained by Locke’s deteriorating faith in the island.

The guys at Lostcasts believe that Mr.Eko is aware of these reasons for the smoke monster’s reactions and that he is building a church to make sure that the losties are secure in their faith so that the smoke monster will do them no harm. They even go so far as to suggest that Mr.Eko might be planning to take control of the smoke monster and use it against The Others in a final showdown.

I don’t know if I believe that this is what will happen, but it is a pretty good theory. I think that those who are secure in their faith will play an important role in the future.

Some really interesting things about magnetic healing and the magnetism of Uluru, or Ayers Rock as it is commonly known where also discussed on the latest Lostcast. If you aren’t already a fan of their podcast, I really recommend checking it out.

11 Responses to Mr.Eko The Saviour

1. SmileyMe says:

I love that Eko is building a Church, that’s what I figured he was building when we first saw that.

2. Anonymous says:

Although this probably has nothing to do at all with the subject at hand, I think I have a bit of a lead on what and where “the sickness” is. Rousseau said that her team got “sick” after returning from the Black Rock. Possibly there was some dangerous chemical or material aboard (lead poisoning, mercury, sarin gas, asbesto particles) that induced the sickness. Mercury can make people go insane, which would give Rousseau a reason to kill them all.
    Another thing is that on the blast door map there was an inscription that said “final known resting place of Magnus Hanso/Black Rock.” Possibly Magnus Hanso was Alvar Hanso’s grandfather or great-grandfather who shipwrecked on the island. He lived on the island along with some other possible survivors and along with him was his son, who eventually led to Alvar Hanso who was the one who finally found a way off the island.
    Yes, it’s an insane theory but TV shows tend to be that way.

3. T-Diddy says:

Take the following examples:

1. Smoke Monster = Angel of Death? By ‘scanning’ a ‘LOST’ soul, it determines whether to take the soul to Heaven or Hell.

2. The Others – By saying to Jack ‘The only reason you live on this island is because we let you live’ implies that the Others control the Purgatory somehow and, by ‘letting’ them live, they give them the chance to prove their worth befor judgment.

3. Fake Henry -‘Henry’ is a also LOST soul awaiting judgment, hence his claim, in addition to others’ (sic) claims of being a ‘good person’. The ‘Him’ Fake Henry referred to in ‘S.O.S.’ is God Himself.

4. Irish says:

[quote comment=”1460″]Sorry if this is repetitive, but I have to ‘purge’ *snicker*. I’ve heard a theory that I agree with that the LOSTies are actually dead and that the island is their Purgatory. Everything that happens is a test to prove their worth.

Take the following examples:

Sure, this may all seem stupid and convoluted, but het it’s Thursday and I need some way to pass my boring time here in my office. So whaddya think? Cheers? Jeers?[/quote]

Tdiddy, I’m pretty sure the writers already cleared that up and said that the Losties weren’t in purgatory. Andreas or C, can you confirm?

You are correct about the purgatory theory Irish.

[quote]Abrams dismissed the popularly held theory that the castaways are stranded in Purgatory, though he claimed to like the idea.[/quote]

Purgatory is only one of the levels of hell as portrayed by Christianity, and other faiths have similar ideas, so just because JJ has said that they are not in “purgatory”, that does not necessarily mean that the losties are not in a similar place.

Personally I don’t think that they are in purgatory. My theory is that the island is a scientific experiment/project and while faith does have a special place in the Lost universe, I don’t belive that any major religion will turn out to be the basis of the entire story.

6. SmileyMe says:

I’m pretty sure that the writers said that was not the case. I think it’s mainly Catholicism that teaches about purgatory… I personally don’t beleive in it, and I haven’t been taught about it.
    Random question… is it ok to talk about the little previews they give us after each show on this site? Since that was the only new thing we got this week I’m wanting to talk about it.

[quote comment=”1464″]is it ok to talk about the little previews they give us after each show on this site? Since that was the only new thing we got this week I’m wanting to talk about it.[/quote]

SmileyMe, It is my personal belief that they shouldn’t show any previews because it takes away from the excitement when watching new episodes, and because of this I don’t watch the previews.

I do understand that a lot of people watch the previews and would like to discuss their content. I am currently looking at different possibilities for allowing these discussions and will hopefully be able to announce a solution soon. Until then, please do not discuss the content of the previews.

8. SmileyMe says:

Thanks

9. Henry says:

I do believe you guys have some pretty good insight on these theories. But what if you were both right? What if on one side of the island you have science and technology, but on the other side you have religion and faith? But is it really that simple? Or is everything simple in it’s own way. However be advised that these powers of science and religion are not so black and white. Thus resulting in differences and similarities shared by “Survivors” and “Others”. Both of these represent states of becoming what really is reality. And the island? Well we’re all lost on our own island aren’t we. Especially the patients at the mental hospital on LOST. Just something to think about.

10. Henry says:

P.S. Anonymous, I like your theory on Hanso. And i do believe LOST has alot to do with him, and the mental hospital, and how they relate to the story on a deeper level.

11. survivor says:

From a new fan. I have watched the first and second season, thus far, in about a weeks time.
    I believe they are all having near death experiences.