For the people who don't play The Lost Experience

A few posts down, I think Hammer posed a great question in the comments section:

By the way, the “Lost Experience” thing that you are working through…do you think that it’s helping you to find out what the island is all about or just a spin off for ABC to keep riding the Lost phenomina?

My answer to him is that I think it is a little bit of both, leaning a little stronger towards the latter (commercializing on success of the show). This is a controversial topic that confronts a lot of people who post on internet sites about LOST–how much can we consider TLE to be canon? How entwined are the two storylines going to be? Is it necessary to play to fully understand the show? Or is it just the writers selling out?

I cannot say anything with 100% certainty right now. TLE is a game I’m playing and following closely for the heck of it over the summer, and it is fun for the most part, despite complaints here and there. What I do NOT believe is that anyone should feel pressure to play it JUST in order to understand the show. I think when Season 3 starts, it will be clear that there will be a few spoilers revealed in the webmaze, but that most of it will be filler material, background Story B. In other words, if you don’t play, don’t sweat it–nothing integral to understanding the main mysteries of LOST will be revealed in the game *only* and *not* revealed at some point in the series. Keep in mind there are millions of LOST watchers who don’t even know what a webmaze is, and the producers are probably not going to wish to alienate them.

For the purposes of this blog, we cater to both fans that play the game and fans that only watch the TV show. It’s too bad we can’t make this blog filter out only for certain tag subjects. Though we try to write a good mix of articles on Lost news, personal thoughts & theories about the show, and webmaze clues, the summer months will be dominated with webmaze articles because of the nature of the beast. To people who don’t wish to play the game but are curious about what may be revealed when the smoke clears–at the end of the summer, I’ll try and prepare a summary of how the storyline may tie into the show, leaving out the parts which are (in my opinion) inconsequential (of course, some of this will be subjective, but I’ll do my best). No one should feel left out of anything just because they don’t have the time, energy, or inclination to play a game.

10 Responses to For the people who don't play The Lost Experience

1. jonno says:

i remember participating in the “i love bees” arg they set up, prior to the release of halo 2. the plotline was definitely not canon, but it was a hype-generating monster. but so far the “lost” webmaze seems a lot more tied in to some of the more obscure elements of the show – perhaps it’s dealing more with a backstory. either way, i’d still be watching lost religously; if it’s just a hype machine, it’s a pretty fan-rewarding one.

2. Cecilia says:

Thanks for the comments, jonno, it’s nice to get some perspective/comparison from someone who has done other ARGs in the past. This is my first one, so it’s hard to know how to rate it, but from seasoned ARG veterans, I’ve seen that this seems to score on the higher end of the scale.

PS: For everyone else, ARG = Alternate Reality Game.

3. VidGamer123 says:

This is probably the first ARG I’ve ever done, and I have to say, I enjoy every tidbit of it.

To me, The Lost Experience is a way to fill in blanks of other mythologies that couldn’t really be easily integrated into the TV show. Well, not without some big stretch, since LOST seems centered on the Island happenings alone (though proved otherwise in the 2nd Season finale).

LOST = show about island events and island mythologies

TLE = game about events and mythologies outside the island

They seem to mesh well to hard-core fans, anyway. AND it’s something to pass the time over the summer until Season 3.

Thanks for the input.

5. Chris says:

Isn’t the TV show stuck in late 2004/early 2005? So, what is happening on the island should be old news to the experience, right?

6. Cecilia says:

Chris–The events of TLE are happening mostly “in the present”.. as in, our present. What they have been hinting at, or at least the public affairs guy of The Hanso Foundation has been hinting at–is that LOST is a TV show in “their world”. I’m not sure I like the implications of that personally. However, I’m going to make a prediction that when it’s all over, LOST will end up being like a documentary in “their world”, one that The Hanso Foundation is trying to write off because it is close to the truth, and would otherwise expose their secrets.

7. Alatea says:

There should be a way to make category tags for TLE, general, spoilers, etc… and have it listed in the right hand side of the blog…just so you know, it’s definitely possible

8. Dan says:

I guess its true there is three types of fans, web, TV and both.

9. jonno says:

abrams et al are fantastic writers, so how much input do you think they’ve had into the experience? some other “publicity” args have been created by fans, or other writers who’ve had their own spin on the way events should go – kind of like “bizarro world” for superman, or something.

maybe it’s a good idea not to ask what’s canon or not till after the arg concludes, and the third season begins. i’m not heaps involved in it, just following along from the outside, and it seems like there’s a huge amount of backstory here. it’d be kind of disapointing if this is all kept in-game rather than translated to the telly.

If you only want to read posts related to the experience, you can visit the tag http://www.lostblog.net/tag/lost-experience

It is possible to filter out lost-experience posts from the rest of the posts if anyone prefers not reading them, but at the moment I don’t remember how it’s done. I promise to check up on it and improve both that and other features of this site when I get back from my vacation.

The Internet connection here is VERY slow so I am only able to check the site a few times a week, but I try to save the site to the harddrive so I can read all the posts. Cecilia, you are doing a great job covering the experience!

Have fun guys!