Damon talks about Lost Season 3

There is a pretty nice interview with Damon Lindelof over at Wizard Universe.

In the interview, Damon talks about the first part of Season 3, explains a bit about Nikki and Paulo as well as The Others and hints at what we can expect from the second half of the season.

WIZARD: The first six-episode mini-season is over. Did you guys accomplish what you set out to accomplish with it?

LINDELOF: I think that in many ways, yes, and in many ways we wish that we could’ve done more. Our über-goal in the first six episodes was to really begin to set up the mega-story of the season, which is who the Others are and what they want and why they took Kate [Evangeline Lilly], Jack [Matthew Fox] and Sawyer [Josh Holloway]. I think that we at least answered the third question. We feel that we told that story fairly compellingly and well.

The interview
is a bit revealing, but I don’t think Damon would reveal anything crucial so don’t worry about major spoilers.

14 Responses to Damon talks about Lost Season 3

1. Maurice Tift says:

From the article, we now know that Nikki and Paulo are going to become an important part of the story.

2. frenchy_florims says:

Hi andreas,

There’s a problem on the site, I can hardly read your posts, is it my computer (I have no problems with other sites) ?

I am happy to learn that next episode will be a Desmond-centric.

I don’t understand why producers want to kill popular characters. My theory would be that Jack is about to leave the show and the death of Eko is a warning, some kind of event to use the audience to this big problem for the show … Anyway, he said we could foresee more death of important characters.

see u.

3. Pingback: Lost: In the hands of Fat Cats « Maven Haven

4. KJ says:

[quote comment="25403"]I don’t understand why producers want to kill popular characters.[/quote]

Well, I think one reason is that it definitely raises the stakes. I mean, generally, you have your heroes and you know that no matter what, they’re going to be okay. They get in dangerous situations, but there’s not really TOO much tension because they’re the stars, they’re not going to be killed off. Everyone loves them and so we think they’ll be fine.

If they get killed, all bets are off. If the most popular characters—the heroes—are gone, you never know who will be next. It really ups the tension because no one is safe. It might make fans mad (in fact, I know it does), but in the end it’s a really effective plot device.

That’s my opinion, anyway. Your mileage may vary.

5. joe says:

6. frenchy_florims says:

TO KJ

Hi KJ,

Thank you for your explanation, this is very interesting and it shade a light on this question.

However, I don’t feel this way, I love the characters and I just think their death is bad for the show. And I am speaking about “popular and beloved characters”, like Eko.
    Unlike him, the death of Libby and Ana-Lucia were an amazing surprise (really) and one of the greatest moment of season 2.

I really didn’t like Eko’s death, I am still pissed off with it. The show’s gonna miss him so much !!

Therefore, I think there are characters you can kill and others you can’t, this is a rule !

For instance, in “24” we know J.Bauer never dies, does it make the show any worse ?
    In my mind, not at all. Well I expect the same from Lost. Some characters embody the show itself, and I couldn’t bear the death of either Locke, Jack, Sawyer, Kate, Desmond, or Sayid (and maybe Hurley, Charlie and Claire).

If you wanna the other ones killed (Juliet, Ben, Nikki, Rousseau, Bernard, Dr Azt …) okay, but Eko was not part of them !
    Otherwise we can also kill all of them to make the suspense bigger and bigger (who will be the survivor ?) but there’s no more Lost.

Happy New Year to everybody.

But you have to admit that knowing that Jack or Sawyer COULD die makes the show more interesting.

In example, the scene where Pickett was going to execute Sawyer – if we knew that Sawyer would never die, that scene would lose impact and not be as powerful.

[quote comment="25776"]one of the things i really like about lost is the ongoing dialogue between the producers and the fans – it’s really quite comforting to know that damon knows the introduction of nikki and paolo wasn’t handled as smoothly as it could have been.. which makes me excited to see how he will compensate for it once we see a flashback that explains a bit about where they’ve been the entire time.[/quote]

Yeah, I agree. It feels great to know that they are aware of the fan opinion. I have faith in the writers, if Damon says that Paulo and Nikki have a purpose they probably do, but it will certainly be interesting to see what that purpose is, haha =)

8. downthehatch says:

Thanks for the article! Couple of points…I tink killing off any of the Bigger Characters (Jack, Kate or Sawyer) might kill the show. The article though brings an interesting point of the ending of the show. Now I have paid close attn to what the producers say (and they have on more that one occasion had to go opposite of what they say) that the shows length is determined by ABC and not by them. Damon does a complete 180 on that answer….as I recall him saying that when it’s done they are done. That they’ll walk away if they are forced to create a false ending that is not true to the story.

I don’t think Damon would walk away and let someone else end the show in a way that isn’t planned. As I understand it, they intend to end the show the way they have planned, and if ABC doesn’t want to end the show when it “should” end, they will have to extend the story and postpone the ending.

10. Dusk says:

Don’t matter what Damon wants, at the end of the day it’s JJ’s baby, unfortunately.

12. Jonno says:

[quote comment="25894"]
    … and it shade a light on this question.
    [/quote]

For some reason that cracked me up. Shade and light… sounds like another episode title. i think the most interesting comment in the interview was that they know exactly what the monster is and when and where to use it; it’s relieving to know that they have definite plan for some of the stuff.

All my friends have left Lost behind, mainly because of the lack of concrete answers. Occasionally it annoyed me, especially when they’d claim that the writers just “made it up as they went along”, which is true of lots of shows; but it’s nice to know that in some aspects at least they have a sense of direction.

13. Dusk says:

“Actually, it’s not JJ’s baby. The show was created by JJ, Damon and Jeffrey Lieber and currently Damon and Carlton Cuse are running the show.”

Thanks for the condescending “Actually” but they’re relative nobodies next to JJ. JJ could tug a string and get anything he wants to happen. He’s the only one with big enough clout to go up against the company and affect mandate on show finishing/continuation.

I think I misunderstood what you wanted to say Dusk. I would agree that JJ has more power when it comes to influencing ABC and Disney.