Another piece of the puzzle?

Lost code

Back in August, we first introduced the official Lost Jigsaw Puzzles, and then in September, we broke the news about hidden codes and blast door map printed in glow-in-the-dark ink on the backs of the jigsaw puzzles.

Today, there’s more breaking news, courtesy of ‘P0pnfresh2002′, who is the first one I’ve heard of to assemble the newest “Connections” Puzzle #4, just released last week, and available at TDC Games. View photos of the fronts and backs, including the newest “c-codes” at Lostpedia.

Apparently, there’s a new clue on the back of #4 now, which reads in French:

Un Vis Classique, Chapitre et Vers

This apparently confirms that the “c-codes” (see Lostpedia entry) are indeed a chapter and verse cipher for some book, but which one? The Bible, Bad Twin and Our Mutual Friend have all been attempted, with no success. The confusing part is the “Vis” word, which doesn’t make much sense the way it is used, according to my French friend. Suggestions have been made that it could refer to A Turn of the Screw, or that “Vis” could have other meanings (such as Old French, vis, face). My own thought was maybe that it referred to the poetry book by Alfred de Musset, since these were the pages of French poetry that Locke drew his version of the blast door map recreation on.

Join in the mystery, and help us solve this puzzle… anyone have any ideas as to which book will decipher these hidden clues? Frenchy Florims and other native French readers, we’d love to hear your suggestions!

31 Responses to Another piece of the puzzle?

1. Alice says:

The poem Locke drew the map on was “Concert de Mademoiselle Garcia” by Alfred de Musset.
    Amazon has a book with the poem in http://www.amazon.com/transparence-l…/dp/2252029455
    and the Project Gutenberg link http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/m#a1341 in Lostpedia has some of his books. I don’t speak French, so am finding it difficult to get any further.
    Hopefully someone can find something
    Edit/Delete Message

2. Austn says:

hey, on one of the puzzles there is a image of the band Geromino Jackson, and i thought that was weird since the album wasn’t a significant part of Lost. Guess what? The Album’s title is Magna Carta. The Magna Carta has 64 chapters and i need to get to class but from my vague understanding of it, there are a couple connections that can be made with it and Lost. here’s a link to the translation (maybe straight from french is better) (yes its french) http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/magnacarta.html

maybe this will work!

3. Austn says:

err sorry, not in french but old english

4. bri says:

Anyone know much about the book Sophie’s World. There is a chapter about David Hume I believe.

5. Pingback: Lost Journal » More Codes…

6. kyle says:

my initial guess would be turn of the screw. i’ll try to do some french investigation to see if there’s something i’m missing.

laughter in the dark maybe? i remember from college that nabokov used very interesting and revolutionary french-to-english wordplay.

7. Four-toed Armenian says:

What about Carrie, by Stephen King, from the Others’ book club? Does anyone have that to check it?

8. Nik says:

“Un Vis Classique, Chapitre et Vers” is translated “A Traditional Screw, Chapter and Towards”

9. 2fray says:

“Un vin classique, chapitres et verres”

“Une vie classique, Cheptel au vert”

“un vice classique, chapitres et vers”

10. Ro-zgee says:

Anybody check the Project Gutenburg e-copy of the Turn of the Screw – original 1898 version?

11. hugo says:

Im french…and “Un vis classique,chapitres et vers” doesnt mean anything..

Read the 2fray’s reply ..hE is right..they are 3 possibilities

12. Cecilia says:

Take a look at the original photograph of that section:

Even though I know vis does not make sense, I think that’s pretty clearly what it says (it doesn’t look like an E or N, and the original photographer was also puzzled). I think the puzzle makers mistranslated.

Oh, and yes, I looked at Turn of the Screw and Mysterious Island (Verne), Monte Cristo, and a few other online books… no luck so far…

13. Brandon says:

I tried Henry James, Turn of the Screw three ways: (1) c12/1+3 meaning chapter 12, lines 1 and 3; (2) c12/1+3 meaning chapter 12, words 1 and 3; (3) c12/1+3 meaning chaper 12, letters 1 and 3. Didn’t get any good results, post them as follows (out of order):

(2) the impression I fully it me threw it me
    (3) teteihtih
    (1)the particular impression I had received proved in the
    Mrs. Grose, though I reinforced it with the mention of still
    gratefully struck with the obedience of my little charges.
    and passionately against mine. I was promptly on my feet of
    IT took of course more than that particular passage to place
    had been, on the whole, as I have expressed, reassuring; but I
    she someone you’ve never seen?”
    IT took of course more than that particular passage to place
    had been, on the whole, as I have expressed, reassuring; but I

I wonder if the numbers (4 8 15 16 23 43) are somehow also involved? (If we found the right book?)

14. Brandon says:

I’ve also noticed that a few of the references are used multiple times: c21/9 (5 times), c14/8 (4 times), c12/1+3 (4 times), c9/2 (4 times), c20/1+1 (3 times), c6/1 (3 times), and c2/5 (3 times).

If these represent chapters/words, then c21/9 was used 5 times to represent “fully”, for example. In the same order as above: fully, I, the impression, waited, just just, it, me.

So, that doesn’t seem to be making a whole lot of sense?

15. david k says:

I translated the french line using a free online site and it said ‘A Classical Screw, Chapter and Towards’… well using this I immediately thought of a philips head screw. So I looked at the bible and found the book of Philippians… then saw that there are 4 chapters. I decided to go to 3:05, only because I didnt know which of the numbers or the secondary numbers to use. But thought chapter and towards and that immediately made me think of Eko’s stick. and the number on that was 3:05

Anyway here’s Chapter 3 Verse 5:

Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee

The only reason I even mention it is because of the tribe of Benjamin.

As of right now thats all I got.

16. Brandon says:

The Harper Collins French Dictionary (book not online version) defines “vers” as toward in one definition. But it also defines it as line or verse.

I think the reference makes more sense as Chapter and Line or Chapter and Verse.

17. Austin says:

I wonder that no matter what book we used, different editions may move lines around so it would be very difficult to use a book that has had many editions. maybe then a poem who’s lines are constant or the bible maybe have better chances at being the literature we seek.

18. Brandon says:

If each reference referred to a letter or a word, it would make sense for them to be repeated, as they are. Each time that reference popped up, it would be easy to plug in the appropriate word or letter and spell out a phrase.

I’m wondering about the notation c20/1+1. This doesn’t make sense if the notation refers to a word or letter. Why not just repeat c20/1, twice? Why “1+1.”

I’m thinking that whatever book the code refers to, the code may refer to ideas or images. For instance, c20/1+1 could mean: Chapter twenty, two ideas (or fragments) of the first line or paragraph.

Any thoughts?

19. Theresa says:

where can i buy the 4th puzzle at?

20. desmondo says:

The Divine Comedy

21. Cecilia says:

Brandon I was wondering about the #+# notations also… doesn’t make much sense. And yes, I’ve been thinking more and more that if they really refer to chapter and verse, then we are talking poetry or scripture, not prose.

Theresa, I think they are sold by other venues, but u can check the TDC link above, they sell them.

22. Cecilia says:

People with the original puzzles, please double check the transcribed codes; we have found (and corrected) a few errors lately. The back glow-in-the-dark is hard to read (and even harder to read from pictures).

Ok everyone, I created a table to record some of my attemptsat cracking the code with various books. If you want to attempt this yourself, I’ve also listed several online resources to try other books, and instructions on how to add to the table.

23. Colin says:

In traditional book ciphers, the code refers to words rather than sentences or letters. But given the length of the text on the blast door map, it seems like a good possibility that these could be letters. Which also explains the repetition of certain codes.

The key is figuring out what ‘un vis classique’ refers to. One translation is ‘a lag screw’, which is a type of screw with a hexagonal head–the same shape as the blast door map and the dharma logo. Could this be a clue as to the source?

24. monkeyman says:

For me, it has to refer to the Turn of the Screw.

I think that the word ‘vis’ is being lost in translation. From my school days it was the word for ‘face’ which relates to the turning of an object to reveal a new side, or ‘face’.

More convincing, remember that we are looking at the blast door map, therefore the codes would relate to a book the painter had to hand, of which the Turn of the Screw was a prominent book in the bookcase in the hatch (video reel was hidden behind it).

Could the ‘vers’ numbers be the first letter of the paragraph to form an anagram? Time doesn’t allow me to investigate this at the moment.

25. frenchy_florims says:

Hi !

I am very sorry Cecilia, I missed your post to answer earlier.

I have two explanations to give you but first I would say I disagree with the “face explanation”.

This is a wrong etymologie and you could guess it as English speakers.
    Indeed, you use our French expression “vis-a-vis something”, don’t you ??
    It exists in English, it means exactly the same in French.

“Vis” is an ancien latin word who meant “aspect” but it was twenty centuries ago.
    It may explain why your French friend said that because the current use os “vis” remains in the word “visage” which indeed means “face”. In litteral English “visage(/face)” = aspect of (your) age.

But let’s stop this because I am muddling up what I intent to suggest.

This could be nothing but a French orthographical mistake.

“Un vis” is pronounced exactly the same as “un vice” which is a sin.

Or, if it’s not a mistake which would astonish me, you have in the very unused (those little words nobody knows in a language) French word “un vis”.
    It points out the iron part of the corkscrew. I have no idea how you call that in English, but this is a turning device which allows you tu pull up something…

My guess is that is a orthographical mistake and that they meant “un vice” (same pronounciation) = a sin.

I hope I was useful because I am very happy that you asked my help ;) (I love your site !).

26. Joel says:

Knowing nothing about this puzzle, I am intrigued by the suggestions. To me, it sound as though you are possibly referring to Desmond’s turning of the failsafe key. Anyone? If so, then what?

27. Cecilia says:

Thanks so much Florims for your thorough breakdown!

Guess what, guys. We just cracked it today, and it WAS Turn of the Screw. I will be posting a new post in a few minutes.

28. Pingback: Jigsaw puzzle cipher cracked - The Lost Blog

29. anon says:

wow, great job… any updates?

30. BOB says: