A Tale of Two Doctors

Lost's Jack and Desmond

I wrote this comment back on October 28, 2006:

I’ve predicted this since Desmond returned in the season 2 finale. As you might remember, Desmond went to medical school and is a trained doctor. Now the losties have a new doctor in Desmond and Jack will join The Others.

With last week’s Lost episode “Stranger in a Strange Land”, my prediction proved to have been more or less right as Jack traveled toward “Othersville” with Ben, Juliet and The Others.

So will Jack join the Others out of his own will, or is he planning to run for the hills the first chance he gets?

The question depends on how important The Others are in the overall Lost story. If they, like I would tend to believe, play a major part in the story, my guess is that Jack will gradually learn who The Others are and why they are on the island. After some time he will come to understand their objectives and even sympathize with them.

When Kate, Locke and Sayid finally come to save Jack (come on, you know it will happen), I’m not so sure that Jack will want to be saved anymore.

Meanwhile, the losties have found a new doctor and possibly a new leader in Desmond. But will he be able to overcome his personal demons and become a “great man” or is he destined to be Locke’s sidekick?

It’s also interesting to look back at the episode where we first met Desmond – “Man of Science, Man of Faith”. At the time I didn’t think about it, but the man of science is clearly Jack, while Desmond is the man of faith.

What do you think the future has in store for the two doctors?

18 Responses to A Tale of Two Doctors

1. rejus says:

Yeah I guess Jack will stay with the Other for some time.
    I think it’s pretty clear that the alliance and future love between Jack and Juliet will play a major role in the Others community and in maybe in a possibile fight against the other groups on the island (see the eye-patch man). But I don’t think that Jack will ever forget his losties friends, instead he’ll try to fix all things once again setting up a larger strategy to lead all people home.
    About the losties, in my opinion they don’t need one leader, they never had one only leader by the way, a lot of decision are taken by a group of people like Sayid, Locke, Kate… what I think is Des won’t join this group and will be somehow isolated by the authors: he would know too much from his flashes to take part to “normal” social dynamics……..

2. Cecilia says:

I think you are right that Jack will stay with the Others for a bit also, but I couldn’t see the writers really having him *change* that much… I know they like to flip the show on its head from time to time, but this is Jack, after all. Good reminder that Desmond went to medical school… I’d almost forgotten about that.

3. AnotherOther says:

4. theOtherdave says:

[quote comment=”42141″]Good theory. I definitely could see that happening. Jack always wants to keep the peace and make everyone get along and try to solve everything. I could see him trying to make the Others and the Losties try to live peacefully together. But right now he obviously hates them so what can change his mind? How can they justify kidnapping and killing like they did in a way that Jack would understand?[/quote]

My feelings exactly! From the last episode, the one thing that stayed with me was how MUCH Jack hated where he was and what had been done to him and his friends. It will take a deep convincing on the Others part to make Jack join them. On the other hand maybe they will subject him to brainwashing a la ‘Karl’.

5. spinpapi says:

Jack needs to “fix” things…he’s driven by it. His bonding with the others will come thru Juliet and seeing the situation thru her eyes. He is her Romeo after all…starcrossed lovers: the theme of Stranger in a Strange Land. He doesn’t need to sympathize with what the Others are doing in order to fix the rift. Only to understand, and be a good leader.

6. Lesley says:

I agree! I have always thought, from way, way back during the first season that ultimately the end of the series will leave our Flight 815 Losties (those who are left standing) as the island’s new Others. Getting Jack to Otherville seems to be moving in that direction. And I had completely forgotten that Desmond went to medical school hmmm…..

7. SD says:

I don’t think Desmond is a doctor. He said he ALMOST became a doctor. We don’t even know IF he went to medical school. My theory is that he was learning medicine when he was in the military but something happened and he didn’t finish and that’s why he was dishonarbly discharged and put in jail (which is what we saw in the S2 finale).

Yeah, but he would still be “almost a doctor”, and in the island context, I think Desmond could very well stand in for Jack when it comes to taking care of not too serious wounds.

9. jbdean says:

Actually we don’t have any information about Desmond’s medical training and I doubt he’s a doctor because, by his own words to Jack in the stadium, “I was almost a doctor.” But I’m all for him being experienced enough to take over for Jack as island physician. :D And judging how he handled Claire, I’d say he knows some stuff anyway.

After having seen the end of “Tricia Tanaka is Dead” I was a bit surprised to see that Kate, Locke and Sayid are already on their way to save Jack. First of, I hadn’t seen the episode or read any spoilers, so it was fun that my guess turned out to be right. Second, I wasn’t expecting things to happen that fast. If thay are already on their way to save Jack, then my ideas about him being turned might just go straight out the window.

11. Kev says:

Andreas,

12. Matt says:

Im getting tired of Lost…I feel as if this show is going to end in dissapointment. Its like the writers are just dragging us on, week by week just so we’ll watch the next weeks show. It would be nice if they would start concluding at least SOME of the storylines they have presented.

Does anyone remember how great episode 1 and 2 of the Matrix was, and 3 was supposed to be just stunning? We all remember what a let down that was. Im afraid Lost is heading in that direction. These guys have dug themselves in a hole that is too deep.

[quote comment=”42293″]Andreas,

But my impression was that they weren’t quite yet going to save Jack — it was more that Kate was going to find Rousseau, and Sayid and Locke were just going to find Kate. Judging by the teasers for next week, it seems there is still some time before we return to Otherville. Your theory may still be correct.[/quote]

Yeah, you may be right, we’ll just have to wait and see what happens!

14. Destroyer Of Worlds says:

[quote comment=”42503″]It would be nice if they would start concluding at least SOME of the storylines they have presented.[/quote]

Do you remember when the biggest question on tv everyone wanted answered was what is in the hatch?

Refresh my memory did they answer that question??

Sorry about the sarcasim and off topic post, but seriously we are getting given alot of answers, maybe you just aren’t listening.

As for Desmond, it wouldn’t surprise me to see him pop up to lend a hand when the losties go insearch of the others.
    His visions of the future might be handy in a stealth mission to the other side of the island.

15. Pingback: Welcome to Othersville - The Lost Blog

16. The Bassman says:

Jack looks like he is having a good time because he could be trying to get along with the others so he can find out more info and also he wants to take care of Ben so that Ben can full fill he end of the deal by letting Jack go. Plus, he seems to have a thing for Julia. He might want to stay around to protect her or leave with her.
    Locke seems to be hiding more than just his secret of the wheelchair. Patchy knew him before and I think he wanted him to die earlier.
    I am still working on what the black cloud could be. Some say a particle accelerator.

Any takers on that???

17. The Bassman says:

Jack looks like he is having a good time because he could be trying to get along with the others so he can find out more info and also he wants to take care of Ben so that Ben can full fill his end of the deal by letting Jack go. Plus, he seems to have a thing for Julia. He might want to stay around to protect her or leave with her.

Any takers on that???

18. Lostmebrain says:

The big question is do you believe that Jack was broken? if so, when did it happen and what are the implications? they pushed his emotional buttons (and Juliet was the one who did it). he went from holding the electric shocker to her throat to sitting in the corner of his own will.