Lost News – April 23, 2007

Here are the latest links related to Lost.

• Lost Video Game – Damon and Carlton commented about this in the most recent podcast, but it looks like the video game is being developed by Ubisoft Montreal (these guys worked on the Splinter Cell series) for the PS3, Xbox 360, and PC platforms. A definitive release date has not yet been announced, but it should be this calendar year.
  • Entertainment Weekly – EW recently did a piece on the ratings decline, the decision to off Nikki and Paulo, and what would make for a suitable time to end the show. There are a few spoilers in the article, but it is a good read.

Remembering The Lost Experience

Watch the official Channel 4 story below as they document their work on The Lost Experience, a collaboration with Hi Res! and the creators of Lost in 2006.

(via BuddyTV)

19 Responses to Lost News – April 23, 2007

1. Bizzy says:

The Hanso Foundation, the Widmore Corporation (which also plays a central role in “Evil Twin” by Gary Troup [purgatory]), Rachel Blake, Dr Mittelwerk [also in “Evil Twin”] and his human experimentation with a deadly virus, and even the Apollo chocolate bar, which has appeared in the series, could play a role in the series arc.

I was thinking that the evil twin for the series might be the identical twin, a clone, either occurring naturally at birth or produced in a lab, of Christian Shepard or Jack Shepard, and this person could be Jacob.

We still don’t know what type of experiments Dharma was up to, or what virus required the vaccine they developed. Were their scientists evil, and did Benry lead a faction against them in revolt?

This could be a extensive backstory that the producers are hoping will carry this series ahead for a couple more seasons.

And still nobody knows about those 4-toed folks.

2. Will says:

[quote comment=”52599″]Now the question is…how much of the Lost Experience is relevant to the TV series?

And still nobody knows about those 4-toed folks.[/quote]
    Bizzy, I am also interested to find out how much of what we learned from TLE was/is going to show up during the series, and I am starting to presume that it was put together as a non-requisite aside from the series itself.

Further, it does not seem that there are any plans to carry it beyond what is there now, at least as far as the time between Season 3 and 4 is concerned, which would lead me to believe that is was not quite as successful as was originally hoped for, or that the consistent interference by the more hard core fans has given pause to the creators…

3. cheese says:

looking forward to this game, i wonder if their will be challenges, to find the hatches etc,
    i also hope it is quiet like the show and one thing i reckon would be great is to have Game updates ever month or so to update parts in the game to tie into the show,

the game inself i hope should have the goodies, and baddies lol.

4. Bizzy says:

Hey, Will and Nick, according to the EW piece you link to: “Lindelof says they wrote the finale mindful that viewers probably won’t see Lost again until January 2008…”

Looks like Andreas bailed out of this blog at the right time.

For now, it seems that you’re just linking to other people’s stories and not creating any original ideas or speculations of your own. I can’t be sure that you’ve even watched that many episodes.

And, if you don’t think the Lost Experience is relevant to the TV series, why did you link to it?

Also, I think it’s pretty lame that you won’t discuss what was mentioned in the official podcast because you say it contains spoilers.

What’s your plan?

5. Martijn says:

It’s just general Lost news.. plus, i can’t remember Andreas discussing spoilers from podcasts?

Give these guys a chance..

6. Toeknee says:

Wow! Pretty harsh, bizzy. Like Martijn said, give these guys a chance. They just took over the blog, and I’m sure there’s plenty of things they have to do to get “settled in”.

I, for one, enjoy reading most Lost-related news items and appreciate when people provide links to such items, which, by the way, Andreas did regularly. If the particular topic doesn’t interest me, I don’t read it.

Will never said TLE wasn’t relevant to the show. He said it was a “non-requisite aside”, which is essentially what D&C have said about TLE.

And the spoilers issue….read the 4th bullet under “Leave a Reply” at the bottom of this page (feel free to read the 5th bullet while you’re there). The “No Spoilers” policy was instituted by Andreas, and I think it is one of the factors that draws people to this site (it was a major attraction for me). As other people here have said, there are PLENTY of other Lost-related websites you can go to to discuss spoilers; it’s nice to have one place where you can engage in Lost discussions without worrying about reading spoilers (most of the time).

7. lostsites says:

“Introduction
    1 day, 18 hours ago by Will”

Bizzy, how you can judge anyone based on less than 48 hours is beyond me. Sounds like you need to go start up your own Lost site and discuss it as you will.

8. Will says:

Bizzy, I definitely appreciate your concern, however I can assure you that myself, Nick, and a future contributor by the name of Shad definitely watch the show and that will ultimately speak for itself through our posts and comments.

Regarding the timing of the purchase, I personally am excited about it because I’m sure the next 5 episodes are going to provide enough fuel for discussion for quite a while.

Finally, I definitely think that TLE is relevant to the series, but the creators obviously have to juggle the hardcore fan with the opportunity for mainstream popularity, hence my statement related to it being unrequired. I think that if anything relevant from TLE pops up in the show it will be fleshed out accordingly.

9. Will says:

[quote comment=”52735″]”Introduction
    1 day, 18 hours ago by Will”

Glad some decent backers are in place for the game – Ubisoft should do a good job of it. Will be interesting to see what kind of gameplay it has. Looking forward to it.[/quote]
    I think it will be interesting to see what type of game Ubisoft ends up pushing out. It would be pretty cool if the game was created along the lines of the “Enter the Matrix” game (one that was related to the Matrix trilogy, but helped fill in the holes left for supporting characters and events).

That way the Lost video game could actually support the series in some way aside from actually giving away future plot points, which I doubt would happen anyway.

10. Bizzy: Wow dude.

The game has potential to be very cool…or absolutely terrible. It all depends on what angle they decide to take.

I imagine it could be interesting to base the game around the perspective of miscellaneous Losties. The people we never really meet on screen. By the same token, it might be interesting to base the game around miscellaneous Others…

It’s too bad we’ve never received any significant info about Rousseau’s past, because a game with her as the central character would be very cool, imo.

11. Ben J says:

Regarding the Lost video game, reading into what Damon and Carlton said about it in an interview on Buddy.tv I think it unlikely the entire game will be canon and any revelations must be taken lightly. The game-to-show relationship sounds closer to Dark Forces-to-Star Wars than Enter the Matrix-to-Matrix. See: http://www.buddytv.com/articles/lost/buddytv-interviews-losts-damon-4766.aspx

In the same interview is a question about The Lost Experience and how it fits in with the show. While mostly canon, Carlton says the content was something they weren’t likely to get to in the show, thus they wanted to tell it through the Experience.

12. MasterPo says:

Producers are loath to make side stories that feed into a feature show or movie. Not everyone will/can see the side story and if you don’t know it then you’re lost (no pun intended).

If you had gone to the Blair Witch website (original movie) there was a LOT more material about the witch story and the “investigation” into the disappearances of the HS kids. They even raise the idea of some kind of time travel! But none of it was reflected in the movie. Good and bad: Good ’cause if you didn’t read the website you wouldn’t have known anything about it; Bad ’cause they story plots on the site were really good stuff IMO!

13. SpinPapi says:

There are trolls in any online discussion. As with any other forum, the best way to deal with them is ignore them. Otherwise you give em just what they want.

Nuff said!

Thx for the updates, y’all new LOSTblog overlords. =]

14. Joi says:

Congrats, guys, I know you’ll do an awesome job. I think you’re taking over at a really exciting time, actually. Sure, the season’s drawing to a close but those of us with LOST running through our veins will be thinking about it and re-watching our dvds during the off season. We’ll need someplace to go and toss ideas back and forth!

15. Lesley says:

I agree with Joi, just because the season ends doesn’t mean we stop watching and obsessing. Summer is the time to watch all three season over and regroup to analyze all the little things we missed each week during the season before. Not to mention the books….. I am looking forward to Will and company’s ideas and analyses. You can never have too many details when you are dealing with LOST. Regarding negative comments and BS SpinPapi nailed it, they are best ignored – – always. Anxiously awaiting tomorrow night!

16. Pelinester says:

I hope they put as much effort into producing the game as they do the show (though I know this is not likely). A perfect choice would be to license ‘Cryengine 2′ off Crytek and then spend all their resources building the gameplay. Anyone who has seen previews of ‘Crysis’ (using this engine) would know why this would be perfect. For those who don’t, Crysis is based on next-gen DirectX10 technology and is probably the best looking game currently in development. The game is set on an Island and has amazing vegetation. The first thing I thought when I saw the Cryengine 2 trailer was ‘LOST!’, just imagine the black smoke monster tearing through all those tropical palm trees in the real-time gaming environment! :)

17. Tasha says:

I kind of read through the comments…a little confused but okay.

Thanks for posting that video. I LOVED the Lost Experience but didn’t follow it all the way through.

I can’t wait for a video game. I bought the Lost board game last week and haven’t even opened it. I saw it was Lost and just bought it.

People need to get a grip on here. It has a new owner and I am sure it will not go exactly as it was before. I love seeing news and discussions and whatever Will and his team want to do, I am all for it. I am a religious reader of this blog and there isn’t much that will keep me from coming every day.

Unless of course someone tells me to go away:(

18. poopypants says:

“evil twin” huh,sounds like the “Jack” at the beach protecting Juliet might not be the “Jack” we have become familiar with.Sounds like Ben has sent the “BadTwin” to do some recon???,thoughts?