The Looking Glass Hatch

The Looking Glass Hatch

I was taking a look at the above Easter Egg from Greatest Hits, thanks to our friends at the Tailsection, and though many people are focusing on the “white rabbit logo” what you will also notice is that it says “Moon Pool” Submarine Port. By literal definition, a “Moon Pool” is “a feature of some research vessels and undersea platforms. A room, with an airtight door, will have an open floor that extends right through the bottom of the hull.” However, The Moon Pool is also a book by A. Merritt with a description below:

“Set on the island of Ponape, full of ruins from ancient civilizations, the novel chronicles the adventures of a party of explorers who discover a previously unknown underground world full of strange peoples and super-scientific wonders. From the depths of this world, the party unwittingly unleashes the Dweller, a monstrous terror that threatens the islands of the South Pacific. Although Merritt did not invent the lost world novel, following in the footsteps of Jules Verne, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Burroughs and others, he greatly elaborated upon that tradition.”

Makes you wonder about next week’s episode and the implications this may have for that particular hatch itself.

40 Responses to The Looking Glass Hatch

1. Omar Kamel says:

Okay.

You just blew my mind.

Off to ponder.

2. Seajam says:

Ha – I’m with you Omar. I only have 6 days to read this book!

In reference to the Moon Pool sub dock, we’ve seen the sub at the wood dock. I am goin to infer, as others have before me, that the sub travels only from the LG to the wood dock, thus giving the illusion that the person travelled entirely by sub. But when Richard recruites Juliet, he encourages her to take the drug because of the bumpy ride (paraphrase). Was she brought there by a completely different form of travel, as opposed to ship,sub or plane? I would hope the Losties would have found a runway if it existed by now (there is that road reference on the blast map door though), so that leaves only a conventional sea route … unless there’s some other way… I wonder what Richard would have done if Juliet had refused the drug?

3. Omar Kamel says:

On a slightly more useful note –

4. Poopypants says:

Im serious,I think they’re all on the Dark side of the Moon,in an artificially controled environment(want a Apollo Bar anyone?)and like has been stated,the Sub gives the illusion of being on Earth(the island).I also think that Jacob is an acronym like D.H.A.R.M.A. is,perhaps J.A.C.O.B. stands for Jack And Clairs Other Brother,or not.But I am really beginning to belive this “Island” is really on the moon and they’re all caught up in some government sponsored population program designed to foster life on other Worlds or Moons.Maybe the whole plane crash was staged(yes,I know we saw it break up over the island),just like Jules sub ride and Coopers’ car crash,maybe all the losties were placed on the beach,drugged up,and placed around a staged crash site,to give them the impression that they were in a crash,maybe the men on the island have 5-6 times more sperm because the gravity on the moon is 5-6 times less…I dont know,just random thoughts but i’ll tell yea, Juliet didn’t get to the island on any Sub,thats for sure,the Sub is a prop to fool people,now all we need to to is figure out where this pesky little island is for REAL,thoughts?

5. Poopypants says:

Any truth to the rumor that Skully and Mulder are Captain and First Mate of the Freighter thats 80 nautical miles of the coast?,now thats a cameo to rival Rico and Calrissian.

6. Poopypants says:

[quote comment="60048"]On a slightly more useful note –

If anybody’s interested – you can find a free copy of the book at http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/765 courtesy of the Gutenberg Project :)[/quote]
    _____________________________________________
    thx,im on chapter three now ,pretty cool book so far …

7. Becky says:

Consider my mind blown as well….WOW. I want to read that book!!!!! It’s only $9.85 on bn.com…sweet.

8. tsheskin says:

Oooo very interesting insight, I’ll have to see if I can read the book on the free site in the next 4 days now!

9. Iden says:

I find it interesting that we only called the swan “The hatch” because that was all that was known about it originally. It was in fact just a hatch. But as we have gone on we (the community) have come to find more “hatches” and have referred to them as other “hatches” even though they arn’t really. But here we have an actual in world reference to one of the locations being called a “hatch”. Another example of the community affecting the writing I should think.

10. Tasha says:

[quote comment="60107"][quote comment="60048"]On a slightly more useful note –

_____________________________________________
    thx,im on chapter three now ,pretty cool book so far …[/quote]

How do I know which one to download? There are three. I am not good at this stuff which is odd since I own a website…….

11. Nick-oo says:

As much as I liked LOST in the beginning, I must say, it’s getting now plainly….ridiculous. OK, you’ll probbaly won’t agree, but that’s the way I feel about the show.

Pretty much alike another show I used to love, Prison Break, it is now only a squeezing of a (much) promising show. It’s still damn good network primetime Tv though :)

As for the whole explanation of the Island Mystery, I got one, too (who doesn’t, eh?). ONLY, mine is in the shape of a webcomic. You can check it out right here, at [url]http://www.drunkduck.com/Midnite_Celebrity_Ghosttalk_with_Jon_Bonaparte/index.php?p=165038[/url]

Feel free to comment.

12. Lesley says:

Omar thanks for the website – now I know what my weekend holds! I like everyone’s ideas that they are not really on an island in the middle of the ocean, that is making more and more sense as the story progresses. I am guessing, however, that the island itself is somewhere near the center of the earth. That might explain the electromagnetism and the bumpy ride. The original Hostiles, pre-Ben, are seen wearing brown clothing,the same colors as the fem bots in the LG station. Perhaps the island is located in a huge air pocket. Now how do we reconcile Naomi’s story? Gotta go read!

13. Kevin says:

Iden: I’m with ya on the “Hatch” issue. It makes no sense that Dharma would call their stations hatches – especially one that has absolutely no similarity to an actual hatch, like the Looking Glass station. The word Hatch was just the losties colloquial way of referring to the part of the Swan station that just happened to be the first part they dug up – a hatch. It must be a production flub – i think . . .

14. XR15 says:

I thought I’d share something that’s been worked out over at Lostpedia. The logo for this station is a white rabbit, which is a pretty overt allusion to Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. One cool thing that took a while to figure out, is that the black circle on the rabbit’s neck is actually a watch face. From high-res promo pics, two hands can be seen faintly. The time? 8:15, of course! I think that the watch is just a great touch because it solidifies the White Rabbit from Wonderland connection (this isn’t just any white rabbit) and it is a shout out to the Numbers and flight 815.

More info at Lostpedia: http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/The_Looking_Glass

15. Found says:

A “Hatch” may actually be the correct term for the function of the “Looking Glass”. Because a definition for the word hatch is that “it allows passage from one area to another”. Which agrees with my earlier theory about this being the arrival and departure location for “normal” travel to and from the island. Remember the writers have stated that the island is real, the losties are alive, and the island exists somewhere in the time space continuum. I don’t think that such an obvious “error” would have been included by the writers unless they have a specific reason to call it that. By the way, as I have also stated previously, the schematic also shows a tunnel leading to a “hatch” somewhere on the island near the shore. Another definition for “Hatch” is the birthing of something, like a “hatchery”. oooooh maybe it’s a cloning station… just kidding… or am I?

16. Lesley says:

I agree with Found. The dictionary definition of a hatch (nautical definition) a/k/a hatchway – An opening in the deck through which passengers can pass. I think the Looking Glass is literally that so it is not a prop error. It also appears that the Lostaways have indeed experienced a re-birth so using the term hatch as a verb it would also apply. Now the question becomes how does the LG allow passage of an entire plane full of people….or does it? Fascinating!

17. Lesley says:

18. Julie says:

[quote comment="60385"]Thanks XR15 for the Lostpedia information. I sometimes forget about that great resource! It is also interesting to note that looking at Richard Alpert over the episodes, he wears a watch rather prominently on his wrist and re-wathing the episodes it really stands out as other folks on the island are not wearing watches. When you think about it, why should he really care so much about the time? Especially when it appears he has so very much of it![/quote]
    Seeing as he and the deceased Ethan we’re the only ones that we have ever seen ‘off the island’ maybe they are the only ones in need of keeping track of time. Anyone know if we ever saw Ethan w/ a watch?

19. Julie says:

sorry… WERE not we’re

20. Ellie says:

Why does Richard need a watch? A couple of guesses are:
    1) He needs to jump into the Fountain of Youth every few hours.
    2) He’s counting down the hours to the end of the world.
    3) He has to go push a button every 108 minutes to save the world.

21. XR15 says:

[quote comment="60394"]Why does Richard need a watch? A couple of guesses are:

3) He has to go push a button every 108 minutes to save the world.[/quote]

Ha ha. Or he has to play ping pong every 108 minutes or the world explodes!

22. Toeknee says:

[quote comment="60369"]I agree that it should be “Looking Glass Station” and not “Looking Glass Hatch”–prop error is how I’m looking at it.

More info at Lostpedia: http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/The_Looking_Glass%5B/quote%5D
    Thanks for that info, XR15!

23. swanny says:

I agree with the time portal type theory, like when ben see’s richard as a hostile when his bout 13 and then we see richard again after him and his buddys have come and killed all the dharma people, he hasnt changed much in like 15 odd years!

24. Other 218 says:

Mittelos biosci is in S. Florida. Way out in the swamps. If you are not part of the permanent plan and you are going home one day (aka fertility researcher) you get drugged/tranquilized, carried “through the looking glass” portal/hatch and ‘poof’ you are in an underwater facility. The locals/others load you on a sub and ferry you to the docks. Enroute you get a shot that reverses the tranq. The journey wasn’t a rough one – that was just an excuse so you would not see how simple the trip was. Now if you were Dharma workers/offspring travelling through the “looking glass” in the 70’s – no drugs – you were permanent party, part of the team. Where are you after you go thru the LG? Still in South Florida? really in the South Pacific? maybe anywhere on earth? maybe in a polar region? or not on the planet at all?

Characters from “Moon Pool” novel include; Dr. Goodwin, the little Portuguese, the sleeping Norsemen.

Quotes include;
    They may have developed a civilization and a science far more advanced than ours. What I call the Dweller may be one of the results of this science. –it may well be that this lost race is planning to emerge again upon earth’s surface!”
    “In Papua,” — “there is a wide-spread and immeasurably old tradition that ‘imprisoned under the hills’ is a race of giants who
    once ruled this region”

25. SpinPapi says:

Other 218, that’s great…thanks for spelling out what I’m sure a lot of folx were trying to put together. I’ve wondered myself if they’re perhaps not in Portland, but nearby. Didn’t Juliet go to Portland? I can’t remember.

26. DriveShaftGroupy says:

Charlie wears a watch

Just thought of something.

When Locke was in the sweat box, he was unable to speak. When Juliette arrived on the island, she was unable to speak at first. What was that all about because when Ben and Roger arrived, no speaking problems. Makes me wonder if Juliette actually arrived by the sub or some other mysterious travel method and was placed in the sub for illusion? I’ve wondered how Ben is keeping people from leaving. He can’t guard the sub himself…so maybe Alpert and Ethan weren’t using the sub during their trips off the island, maybe the sub hasn’t been able to travel since the purge?

28. ok. this doesn’t pertain to this episode per se, BUT, i wanna know what you guys think about something:

ep. 1 of season 3: ben and kate are dining on the beach, and she asks why he’s [doing nice things for her; giving her breakfast and making her wear a dress]. he replies “[something nice for you to remember]…because the next 2 weeks are going to be hell.”

so where they planning something all along?!?!? why the 2-wk time frame?!?

i’m guessing that they were planning for juliet to help them escape AND, thanks to lostpedia, i saw that 2 weeks would be day 82-ish…the same time as The Man From Tallahassee. were they planning TMFT all along?

so what do you guys think, what was ben planning since that episode? am i reading too much into the “2 weeks” comment?
    and i can’t remember…did they already know that sun was pregnant?

did they know a parachutist would be coming in 2 weeks?

shellonius – My take is that Ben fully planned on having Kate mate because he knew about the love triangle and would be easy to manipulate. It was her choice: Sawyer or Jack. Ben manipulated the circumstances for the mating. I’m not sure if Ben orchestated the escape because it seemed more like Jack’s doing, but now that they are free, the attack needed to be planned to accommodate the two week time line. I don’t think Ben knew about Sun, I think Sun was a bonus when Sun approached Juliette and declared she was preggers.

I’m still stumped on our parachuter. I don’t know who the heck she is.

30. but “shepherd wasn’t on jacob’s list” as we know. other than that, i think you’re right about wanting her to mate.

31. Lesley says:

Hammer, funny you should mention Locke’s and Juliette’s inability to speak. My thought when I re-watched this weekend was that the drug came from the island, but that would mean that Juliette received a hallucinogen and not just a tranquilizer. Now why would she need a hallucinogen? Someone above mentioned a virtual reality hmmm. Regarding Ben and his two week plan, I think Ben always has alternative plans lined up depending on what circumstances he is presented with and it seems that lpert has helped him to facilitate those plans until recently when he came to discover that Locke has a gift. I get the impression that Naomi is from the future. Although she talks about the crash she never reveals how much time has passed since they discovered the plane. I have no idea which side she is on but I cannot imagine that the the outside contacts of the Others have not tried to contact them…unless of course that is all part of a virtual reality too.

32. i think maybe locke had trouble speaking because he’d been in there with all the smoke; he might have just had dry/raspy throat. i find it more interesting that juliet wasn’t able to speak.
    i’m not entirely convinced that juliet even travele via sub; she could’ve just awakened there…who knows. i’m not really convinced of anything yet! :P

[quote comment="60723"]but “shepherd wasn’t on jacob’s list” as we know. other than that, i think you’re right about wanting her to mate.[/quote]
    Yeah, Jack’s abduction was two fold, to operate on Ben and to be part of the mating manipulation. Both of which are not Jacob’s will (if Alpert is correct about Ben being off tract.)

This brings up another thought. How did Pickett know who was on Jacob’s list if only Ben talks to Jacob? Why would Ben make a list that’s different from Jacob’s and then tell everyone that it is different?

34. and michael got his list from bea klugh…and we know that jack was on it, so i wonder if that list is supposed to be the same as jacob’s list. if so, it would imply that the group itself doesn’t seem to communicate much within itself…which seems odd if they really are wanting to over-throw ben.

i had to wiki jacob’s list:

36. the way pickett mentioned jacob’s list made it seem as though that was the only list [he knew of]. at least that’s how i took it.

i wonder if michael and walt are at the looking glass!

after reading your comments about locke/juliet not being able to speak, i coincidentally came across something on lostpedia that said that after the discharge/implosion, charlie [didn't recall what happened? and] wasn’t able to speak. interesting…

37. Ellie says:

[quote comment="60755"]shell., I don’t think all of the others are in on the over throw yet. Until Locke proves himself to the underlings, he’s just the “one” that they heard was special. The people close to Ben (Alpert, Juliette, Alex, Mr. Friendly) are doing the coup IMO because then know Ben is off tract.

I figured Pickett, Price, Michail, etc. are “sheep” that do whatever Ben says for fear of Jacob and because of ignorance. I just wonder how they knew that Ben’s list is different from Jacob’s.[/quote]

Are the people who are trying to over throw Ben telling everybody that Ben’s list is different then Jacob’s? Sorry if this is a definite yes, or no. I don’t remember.

38. Bernard says:

[quote comment="60551"]
    Anyway, things are pointing much more sharply toward virtual reality. They need to drug you in order to tap into your skull and make everything real enough to be believable to you. And use you for research.[/quote]

… but what about Desmond who was on his own during a round-the-globe sailing trip… he ended up on the Island without going through submarine, plane that crashed out of the sky, was not abducted… just sheer bad luck and a motherf***ing storm at sea…

Still thinks they are on this Earth, not buying in some matrix-induced V/R environment or deep down in the Earth crust / on the dark side of the moon…

39. Julie says:

Im with you Bernard. I don’t think that its a VR situation either. I’ll go w/ some machinically cloaked island… but not something quite so sci-fi.
    If it we’re VR what would be the point of experimenting on animals. Can you imagine trying to hook up a great white to a VR machine? “oh no… dont mind me mr shark.. just going to put this …here…. and …. here… now just lay here and visualize that your swimming in an ocean. Oh, and for good measure let me brand you with this Dharma Logo. Now be still.. it wont hurt a bit..’
    Not buying it.

40. It’s a damn shame then that this meticulously crafted, psychedelic visual-journey isn’t matched with a screenplay that was given just as much effort. The inbuilt metaphors of the Alice tale are still there however writer Linda Woolverton adds very little in the way of character development or plot undercurrents, seemingly intent on relying on the visual effects wizards and actors to contribute the extra layers. Her biggest missed opportunity is further exploration into the Mad Hatter or even the White Queen – both of whom are half-baked caricatures – with the Hatter coming off as a mere chance for Depp to be quirky, rather than the cleverly-written character with an interesting back story that he should have been. To Woolverton’s credit though, she did manage to concoct some deliriously amusing dialogue for the Hatter and the Red Queen; a small highlight of her script which partially redeems her lack-lustre attempts elsewhere.