Lost News & Hiatus Update – September 12, 2007

A few Lost-worthy items for discussion:

*The Emmy’s will air this Sunday night at 8 PM EST on Fox, so if you have nothing else going on, tune in to see if Lost is able to capture any academy love (Lost was shut out at the “Creative” Emmy awards earlier this week)

*Oscar Dahl of BuddyTV.com wrote an article about the impending Fall launch of shows, and the obvious effect that Lost not being on this fall has on his viewing preferences. In this article, Oscar makes a decent point about being envious of his father, whom he is trying to convince to get the Lost DVD’s to catch up:

I am truly jealous of him, or anyone else, who has yet to discover Lost. At some point, they will have the opportunity to watch Lost from the beginning. They get to meet Jack and Locke, discover the hatch, learn about the Dharma Initiative, witness the power of Mr. Eko’s whooping stick and be in awe of Ben Linus’s complexity.

This leads me to some thoughts about my latest hiatus-hangover helper (say that 3 times fast). Two weeks ago I decided to thoroughly watch Season 1 of Heroes, I had previously caught the first couple episodes earlier this year and for whatever reason stopped watching (in hindsight, I have no idea why!). I have now viewed all but the season finale and I must say, this is definitely my second favorite show now, squarely behind Lost.

Given that Heroes Season 2 starts later this month, I am hoping that will make the next 4 months a little more bearable as I wait for Lost to return. Related to Dahl’s article, I have found watching the show in such a short period of time quite frenetic and much more intense (but enjoyable). It definitely gives you a greater appreciation for a show in it’s entirety. Watching a season arc over a few weeks definitely prevents you from questioning the specifics of any given episode.

Discovering Heroes has definitely helped move me through this long hiatus (albeit brief, considering that I have consumed the entire Season in a rather gluttonous way!) and I look forward to the Blu Ray release of Lost Season 3 in December, let me know how you’ve been spending your time…

10 Responses to Lost News & Hiatus Update – September 12, 2007

1. DocH says:

Will – I too squarely place Heroes directly behind LOST. I grabbed the first two episodes that aired, then drifted for a few weeks… but my buddy chastised me for not watching, and I lucked out – they went immediately to reruns and I managed to catch everything in order, as it was airing. The show has its’ charms, but doesn’t hold a candle to LOST, when LOST brings its “A” game.
    I do not want to bad-mouth the Heroes finale since you haven’t seen it yet. But I will say that I was disappointed (only slightly though).
    Heroes does well (like LOST) because of its’ talented, yet relatively unknown, ensemble cast. Like LOST, Heroes folds believable characters (not stereotypes) into fictional (entertaining) scenarios. Heroes, I think, tries to get too many characters going at once though, so sometimes you have to wait 5 or 6 episodes to get back to your favorites. LOST almost fell into this trap, but got smart and whacked Nikki & Paolo (yippee!).
    Heroes did well when it brought in star power like Malcolm McDowell & Eric Roberts. Their brief roles were of complex (deliciously evil) and convulted figures in the saga, and their contribution helped the story along immensely.
    Heroes also does well with its visual presentation – ala comic book graphics. Heroes does visually to urban/suburban filming what LOST does visually to tropical/maritime cinematography.
    All-in-all, LOST wins the race, Heroes = runner-up. LOST got smart and said 3×16 episodes left to go – now we can tell our story succinctly – no filler – everyone a thriller – fans can focus. I see Heroes going down the same path (5×20 or whatever) so their fans can focus too, no worries.

2. joe says:

i enjoy heroes, but the sloppiness of their season finale dropped that show way way down on my list of favorite shows. lost is always accused of not knowing where it’s going, of “being made up as it goes along,” and yet the writers are skillful enough to bring the stories around to satisfying conclusions every season. it’s clear that heroes has some great writers on their staff, but tim kring has no greater plan for the show, is making it up as he goes along, and belittles his audience by assuming that we aren’t paying attention to details.

3. matt says:

I hate to tell you this joe but I belive Kring said he had the show arc for at least five seasons. While I agree it doesn’t hold the same spot in my heart as Lost does, the show is excellent. It will most likely help me through the hiatus.

4. matt says:

I hate to tell you this joe but I believe Kring said he had the show arc for at least five seasons. While I agree it doesn’t hold the same spot in my heart as Lost does, the show is excellent. It will most likely help me through the hiatus.

5. MK says:

My sister who introduced me to Lost a couple of years ago said to me yesterday: “Have you seen Heroes yet? NO!? Sit and watch, you will forget all about Lost”. She did not understand the Lost fanaticism, I did not argue.
    Nevertheless, after several hours of watching Season 1 Heroes DVD, I have a slight appreciation for the show and Kring’s style, although sometimes it feels more like a CSI episode. Needless to say, her assumption that I will “Forget all about Lost” could not be further from the truth.

Yes, it will be the perfect filler this fall while awaiting for the big moment. I have to finish erecting my HD antenna before it is too late.

6. Lesley says:

You have no idea how much I miss LOST!…But of course you do. You are all here writing on this blog! I agree Heroes kept me interested last year but the season finale was such a let down that I have considered giving it up. After reading this and not having LOST to look forward to in September maybe I will give it a second chance. I also remember what it was like seeing the LOST episodes for the first time…the crash, the Hatch, Mr. Friendly on the raft…SWEET! Well, if Heroes does not pan out I can always watch the first two seasons over again. Thanks Will for the reality checks each week. With the holiday season approaching February will be here before we can blink (I hope)!

7. Anon says:

Suffer from LOCD (LOST Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)? Like to have a few drinks before, during and after LOST? Like to blog about LOST in that condition? (we can tell). AA is now holding its weekly meetings on Wednesday nights for those that suffer this affliction. They just ask that you don’t show up “LOCD and loaded”….

8. SpinPapi says:

I have been crouched up, holding my knees to my chest, crying myself to sleep in the corner of my den every Wednesday night since the Season 3 finale…

9. Toeknee says:

In case anyone missed it, Terry O’Quinn won the Best Supporting Actor in a Drama series award. You can watch it here: