Lindelof Interview Regarding Season 4

Kristin Dos Santos, of E!Online, posted an interview with Damon Lindelof yesterday about the strike and its potential effect on the arc of the remainder of the series. Pretty compelling stuff, specifically related to the idea that Episode 8 may end up being a huge cliff-hanger for fans of Lost.

Lindelof on the Strike:

It looks like Lost will air eight episodes and then go dark. Does it sadden you that you’re not able to deliver those 16 in a row that were promised to the fans?
Yes, it does. I feel like the worst thing we could have done was to plan for a strike and plan accordingly. Everybody had to be optimistic, because then it would have felt like why does episode eight feel like such a conclusion? We learned last year that the show moves at a certain pace, and you can’t build up critical momentum in the first six episodes. In fact, when you are doing 24 straight episodes of a show, the first six episodes are a lot of tap dancing and some writers are able to tap-dance very effectively. Cable writers don’t have to tap-dance at all, which is why all their shows are so great.

Lindelof on Season 4 Ending after Episode 8:

At the end of the eighth episode, is there any sense of conclusion whatsoever?
It’s as much of a conclusion as, say, Ana-Lucia and Libby getting shot.

Wow. Really?
Yes. And you’d be, like, oh my god, I can’t believe I have to wait another year and two months for episode nine of this season.

So, it’s a cliffhanger?
Yes. And that’s the thing, we really planned out the three seasons of 16, 16 and 16…so the idea of having to come back and maybe do a 24-episode season, and that would be season five is just…I can’t look the fans in the eye and tell them that we’re executing the original plan anymore.

Obviously, this whole strike is unfortunate for a number of reasons, but I believe the writers are just in what they are doing and ultimately deserve a piece of the action related to any distribution channel their creation is available through. And honestly, Big Business in Hollywood could have resolved this entire issue with a little more forethought related to their online and mobile distribution strategies. We are talking about the writers asking for pennies on the dollar… Could that not have been a cost of business thought out beforehand?

This happened with DVD’s, and history repeats itself everytime a new method of distribution breaks through to the masses. Benjamin Franklin said, quite appropriately, that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. That the PGA and studio executives expected the writers to bury their collective heads in the sand while huge rewards were reaped through new media is short-sighted at best.

8 Responses to Lindelof Interview Regarding Season 4

1. any four word phrase says:

hey friends
    (this could be considered a spoiler, so don’t read if your not interested.

…on top of that, im not really sure of the legitimacy. Anyways, i read at one point that Malcolm David Kelley as a facebook page and actually accepts friends. Anyways, i did this and he just posted some photoed a few photos of lost filming. So, if this is actually him, i guess it would be safe to assume that he will be back within the first 8 episodes.

Sorry, for placing this in such a random thread.

ciao

2. Anon says:

I just watched the first “Missing Pieces” Lost minisode on abc.com titled “The Watch”. IMHO, it wasn’t all that good. BTW, I just re-watched the first Season 3 episode (where Ben & Company witness the plane crash from their suburban-island retreat). I got tired of waiting for the DVD to come out. The new “HD” viewer on abc.com looks absolutely fabulous!

3. Tyler Cheman says:

I have been a fan of Lost sice day 1. I even bought a rare Dharma Key. If they are actually going to cut the season in half and bring it back in a year, I AM GOING TO BE PO’D. I9 hope EVERYONE feels they same way about my comment and feel free to e-mail me on your opinions, thanks for reading my comment.

4. ethan says:

I hate to say it but “lost” has broken my heart, the first two seasons of the show blew me away, they were really deep stuff they had me completly hooked. then along came the third season and (for me) the show lost all its mystery. the “others” were explained to deeply, everything was given a logical simple explanation and it just wasn’t fun anymore, but im hoping that this up coming forth season is gonna bring the show back to its potential, because i really think this show was the best thing to hit tv in years, am i crazy ? do you guys feel like the show lost its edge in the third season i wanna know? because it has really bummed me out that maybe they have ruined what could have been a classic.

5. rebeca says:

lost es una serie muy interesante solo quiero decir que sawyer es el MAS GUAPO

6. Tyler says:

Ethan, I partly agree with what you are saying, but at the same time I don’t think they’ve ruined a classic TV series at all. Its true that they went way into detail concerning “The Others,” but at the same time they were introducing some really cool new concepts, such as the sub-plot between Charlie and Desmond and Juliet’s back-story. I don’t even have to mention a certain something in the season 3 finale. I’ve still got faith in Lost, and I would definitely be willing to wait after episode 8 if it means making season 4 the best it can possibly be.

7. MK says:

I don’t see how Season 3 is any less intense and deep than the previous two. I was utterly disappointed with the frequency of commercials at some point, but the content of Season 3 was very well laid out. Many of the questions were answered, and new questions were posed.

8. Petey says:

So is it a fact that 8 episodes of season four will air and that’s it for the season? They’ll just add 8 to season five?

Or could it change depending on if/when the strike ends?