Lost: Missing Pieces, Episode 1 & 2 Recap

As most all of you know, you can now find the first two Missing Pieces episodes on ABC.com. I would recommend watching them, if for no other reason than it’s new content and we are still a few months away from the premiere. You can find a brief summary below, along with my thoughts:

“The Watch” – This takes place just before Jack & Sarah’s wedding, and we actually get to see Jack and Christian having a functional, somewhat emotional, father and son moment. It’s interesting to see this dynamic between the two, given that the vast majority of what we have seen to date is turbulent at best. Christian gives Jack a watch that his father passed down to him on his wedding day, and unlike his father, Christian believes Jack is making “the absolute best decision” by marrying Sarah.

“The Adventures of Hurley & Frogurt” – This basically takes a 180 from the first episode. A funny, satirical exchange takes place between Hurley and Neil, referred to as “Frogurt”, a character that has been mentioned before, but until this episode never actually appeared on Lost. Nothing earth shattering here, but again, an interesting, condescending exchange. After seeing Hurley take some DHARMA Cabernet from Bernard & Rose’s tent for his picnic with Libby, Frogurt basically tells Hurley he needs to take the next step in his pursuit of her, or move out of the way so he can have his shot. Hurley let’s Frogurt know that he is well beyond “doing laundry” with Libby.

I’m not sure you can read into these too much other than for the sake of character development, but at this point I am interested in ANYTHING new related to Lost. We will continue to get one of these per week, leading up to the premiere for Season 4 in February.

11 Responses to Lost: Missing Pieces, Episode 1 & 2 Recap

1. Danny says:

they are so short I can’t handle it

2. Matt says:

Owner: Take this object, but beware it carries a terrible curse!
    Homer: [worried] Ooooh, that’s bad.
    Owner: But it comes with a free Frogurt!
    Homer: [relieved] That’s good.
    Owner: The Frogurt is also cursed.
    Homer: [worried] That’s bad.
    Owner: But you get your choice of topping!
    Homer: [relieved] That’s good.
    Owner: The toppings contains Potassium Benzoate.
    Homer: [stares]
    Owner: That’s bad.

3. Wyatt says:

Haven’t figured out the Hurley clip yet, but in the Jack clip the watch is very important. Recall that Jin’s mission was to deliver a similar watch. There’s something about the watch that connects the wearer to the leadership, which we can see includes Mr. Paik, Penny’s father (see the poster on his office wall), and I believe Christian Shepard.

Jin gave his watch to Michael. I wouldn’t be surprised to see that watch show up in an off-island flash-forward.

Another watch connection could be that the watch acts as a beacon to assist those trying to find the island, such as maybe the Mittlewerk boat waiting 30 miles offshore. We already kinow it’s not Penny’s boat.

4. Carol says:

This watch has not been worn in 20 years or so. I think this wedding was arranged through Boone’s mother’s wedding company. I want to know why Grandpa Shepard wasn’t keen on Margo.

5. SpinPapi says:

Wow, great comments. Nice to know LOST devotees are returning to the blog w/some thoughts (and good memories).

The Hurley clip pretty distinctly suggests he’s dealing with some kind of multiple personality and/or disassociative disorder…that Dave isn’t the only one in there…and even that Hurley’s brave actions in the last ep of Season 3 may have been influenced by this new (to us) personality.

Sad to think this took place moments before what could have been one of Hurley’s happiest on the island.

6. Toeknee says:

[quote comment="143763"]
    [/quote]

SpinPapi, are you suggesting that Neil is a figment of Hurley’s imagination? I didn’t think that at all. Actually, I thought there has been a mention of this character in the past. But then again, it’s been so long since the season 3 finale that most of my Lost memories have been pushed way back in the deep dark corners of my mind, so I could be wrong.

I’m with Spin…I took Frogurt as another imaginary friend and that Hugo has conquered this one like he conqured Dave.

To add to my last post. I think if Frogurt was real and wanted Libby as bad as he implies, he would have narced on Hugo for stealing the wine, yada yada yada…

9. Toeknee says:

Hmmmm…..I can see that as a possibility, but I got curious and I found the following in a transcript of the S.O.S. episode:

BERNARD: Good. Can you get Libby and meet me at the edge of the tree line in 5 minutes? Oh, and if you can get Jin and Sun, Jenkins and that Frogurt guy — the guy who used to make frozen yogurt.

HURLEY: Neill?

So there is a real person on the island named Neil/Frogurt. However, it could be that the scene in the mobisode all took place in Hurley’s mind. I still say that it didn’t, but I wonder if we’ll ever find out for sure.

Sheesh! Even in the break between seasons the list of unanswered questions continues to grow!

10. Toeknee says:

I found this on another site….

At one point Neil says, it’s “Neil Time”, which can be rearranged to “Time Line”, which may or may not be a coincidence. Of course, if Neil is spelled with two L’s, then this doesn’t work so well.

11. Hurley's Dad says:

Agree with Toeknee and Carol. If Frogurt was a figment of Hurley’s imagination, Bernard wouldn’t have mentioned him.

The key thing for me to remember when watching these things is something Damon said. (Paraphrasing) These “Missing Pieces” have to be interesting enough for someone to want to buy them (from Verizon), but yet not so important that someone that doesn’t see them will be “out of the loop” when watching the real show.

For “THE WATCH”

The new thing here isn’t the watch. It’s the Margo comments. Not only did Christian’s Dad not like Margo:

“he thought marrying her was a mistake.”

But CHRISTIAN doesn’t either:

“Unlike me, you have made the absolute right choice.”

THIS is a dynmaic that is new. Even though he chose to not leave his family for Claire’s Mom, he didn’t do it because he loved Margo.