Lost: Missing Pieces #3 – "King of the Castle"

Though it has not yet been posted on ABC.com, the third mobisode can be found here. In my opinion, this is the most interesting thus far, given the characters involved (Jack and Ben), the setting (a chess match), and the dialogue, as noted below:

Ben – It’s been a long time since I had anybody with a little skill to play against. I don’t suppose there’s anything I could do to convince you to stick around. Relax Jack. Just an idle question. We have a deal. I fully intend to honor it.
Jack – Intend to, or you will?
Ben – It’s not entirely up to me. If the island doesn’t want you to leave, it won’t let you.
Jack – What the, the island’s going to sink the sub?
Ben – No. No. I promise you I won’t do anything to prevent you from getting home. But if you do leave this place, the day may come when you want to return.
Jack – Never.
Ben – I’ve learned never to say never. And if that day comes, I hope you remember this conversation.
Ben – Was a nice try though.

Obviously, this conversation turns out to be prophetic in two very obvious ways. One, though the Island does not physically sink the ship, Locke does, and we all know that Locke has some mysterious bond with the Island itself. Further, at the end of Season 3 we all remember Jack in his miserable, addicted state-of-mind, constantly jumping on flights hoping for another crash, and then finally, desperately pleading with Kate that they had to go back to the Island.

*Also, here is an interesting article from the New York Times that depicts why these particular mobisodes (if that is what you call them) might be a good case study in how Hollywood should deal with the WGA.

In an interview Mr. Cuse said that while it took five months to reach an agreement, he believes the “Missing Pieces” deal could serve as a template for resolving at least some of the dispute over payment for online use of material.

“I think it is a pretty good model,” he said last week. “What it shows is that there is basically room for a partnership between writers and the studios in a new medium. It’s where I wish we were headed instead of being stuck in this standoff.”

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

11 Responses to Lost: Missing Pieces #3 – "King of the Castle"

1. William says:

Ben did not win this game. He performed a castle and saved himself from a checkmate by Jack on the next move. That’s why he said “Nice try”.

2. SpinPapi says:

That’s a great quote to have in favor of the writers’ strike. I think this is also a bid for showing the fans some of the artistry, getting us on board in appreciation for the great writing these guys do. Read this one through and say it isn’t elegant in it’s taut simplicity, and yet leaves so much room for the actors to interpret and perform, as they so graciously do. In the body of all the mobisodes, this one may stand out as an award winner. Go writers!

3. KillerR says:

The mobisodes are awesome. cant wait till the premiere. only 69 more days. damn, if you say it fast it doesnt sound that long at all;)

4. Fluca says:

Ok, I think that the movement (castling) is in and of itself a clue.

Note that Ben switches the king (Jack) with the tower (someone from the island). And all this happens while Ben is talking about how Jack must remember their conversation should he wish to return to the island.

5. Joel I says:

Maybe, in order to return, Jack will have to trade places with someone on the island.[/quote]

Fluca,

6. Fluca says:

[quote comment=”146702″][quote comment=”146561″]Ok, I think that the movement (castling) is in and of itself a clue.

Fluca,
    Neat idea. It requires us to also believe that Ben wants to do help Jack, doesn’t it? Is that plausible? I have never (oops–never say never!) quite bought Ben’s “respect” for Jack. I still think he isn’t to be trusted.[/quote]

Yes, it does. But, it seemed as if Ben really wanted to point Jack to stay (he even said something along the lines of “can’t I make you change your mind”).
    Maybe he sees some relevance or future role for Jack in his plans, and because of it, he was willing to give Jack this clue…

7. froggirl says:

Oh how I’ve missed this show. Ben has got to be one of my favorite TV villians EVER.

Love his word play. He “intends” to honor it. He personally won’t do anything to prevent Jack from leaving , but gee, if anyone else tries to prevent Jack, too bad!

froggirl

8. mobius says:

The trouble with Jack jumping on flights is that his dad is still alive and on the surgery staff at the hospital that Jack is working at. So did his dad, who died off the island come back to life on the island, or is this another alternative universe besides the one that the island is on?

9. i have no name says:

welcome to the age of aquarius
    i am here to put the fires out

10. Extremely interesting post thanks for sharing I have added your site to my favorites and will be back.