Lost Missing Pieces: "So It Begins"

Obviously most of my attention has been diverted to Find815.com, but what better way to conclude the Missing Pieces mobisodes just how they started, featuring Christian Shepherd. Only one problem – this time he is having a conversation… with Vincent (yes, the dog)… on the Island, just after the initial crash of Flight 815 and prior to Jack awakening.

Given the various comments Lindelof and Cuse have made related to Jack’s father, I am not 100% sure what to take from this. It either reinforces the Island’s ability to severely distort reality or perhaps is intended as a misdirection for us leading into Season 4. I am interested in getting your thoughts.

35 Responses to Lost Missing Pieces: "So It Begins"

1. SpinPapi says:

Yeah, I thought Jack’s dad on the island was supposed to be part of Jack’s imagination…or a manifestation of the smoke monster. At least those are what I remember being the dominant theories, no? Some said Vincent might be a manifestation of the smoke monster as well. And the retrieversoftruth.com website (now defunct) hinted that golden retrievers had special powers.

So does this mean the security system on the island is talking to itself? Are there two systems, as previously theorized? What the hell is Vincent really? Very cool but also very confusing. I can’t wait to discover an explanation. Cmon, writers! Messing w/our heads is fun…but what’s to come?

Damn I guess I’ll just have to watch the show. >=]~

2. jonas says:

well the other characters have visions that guide them in their decisions, so why shouldnt the dog? :)

3. VidGamer123 says:

Oh, come on! That’s not fair! After all our theorizing on how these illusions are popping up, this just opens a whole new can of worms. D:

4. Meg says:

I can’t remember. Have D&C ever confirmed that Christian is dead. I thought they had, but since I can’t remember, I’m gonna go off on a theory (that I’m pretty sure is wrong). Could Christian have faked his own death because he is part of Dharma and manipulated Jack onto flight 815?

5. Toeknee says:

6. joe says:

i take this episode as confirmation that the smoke monster is capable of physical manifestation – it’s not just appearing in people’s imaginations.

7. danny says:

[quote comment="170235"][quote comment="170056"]Yeah, I thought Jack’s dad on the island was supposed to be part of Jack’s imagination…or a manifestation of the smoke monster. [/quote]

My take is that Jack’s Dad is a manifestation of the smoke monster, and it/he made an appearance to Vincent in this scene.[/quote]
    yeah but why would it be Christian talking to Vincent?

8. Toeknee says:

[quote comment="170354"]
    yeah but why would it be Christian talking to Vincent?[/quote]
    Maybe I’m wrong for taking it at face value, but in the context of the story, Christian/the Smoke Monster wanted to direct Vincent towards Jack, to wake Jack up and show Jack the way to the beach. The sooner Jack gets to the beach, the more good he can do, and the process by which he ultimately assumes leadership of the Losties can begin.

9. Scott says:

D&C have mentioned before that one HUGE question you should be asking is “where is the body?”, re: Christian S.. If you remember, Jack found his dad’s coffin and there was no body inside. Also I noticed he is wearing sneakers. That’s odd. although sneakers would make it easier to walk around on an island.

I don’t think it was a manifestation as in Ecko’s brother. If it was why would he say MY son is over there? When Smokey manifested it’s self as Ecko’s brother it made it very clear to Ecko that it WASN”T his brother. (“You speak to me as if I were your brother….”)

I think Jack’s dad is real but I can’t explain where he’s been all this time. Maybe with all the people that showed up outside Jack’s bear cage. They were observing. Maybe Jack’s dad has been observing too.

What do you think????

10. Toeknee says:

Where is his body – who knows? maybe Smokey took it to help its manifestation process?

Christian telling Vincent to wake up “my son” – good point about this contradicting the Yemi manifestation. Not sure what to make of it. I’d like to say it’s the writers being sloppy but I think that Yemi/Smokey scene was too important for the writers to have forgotten.

11. Meg says:

[quote comment="170593"]I always go back to what D&C have said – whenever someone is dead, they stay dead. We saw that Christian was dead in Australia, so I never considered that he could have come back to life on the island.

[/quote]

12. Scott says:

I’m thinking now about Jack’s flash forward. Jack mentions his father then in present terms. I honestly think the man is alive some how but on that island who the hell knows.

13. Meg says:

[quote comment="170602"]Well the way it happened with Sawyer in the bar they give you the impression that he may have died at the hands of Sawyer. All we know is he died in an alley in Sydney.
    quote]
    I thought Sawyer left before Christian did to go off and kill Duckett. They said he died of a heartattack, implying from the drinking. And if Sawyer had kill him, wouldn’t the Others know? They know about Duckett, and are the ONLY ones to know about him besides, of course, Sawyer. Wouldn’t they say something about the event happening if it indeed did?

14. Toeknee says:

[quote comment="170597"]
    Was he dead? How do you know? We thought Mikhail was dead. And Nikki and Paulo at first. How do you know it’s real? There are a few ways he could still be alive. What about medusa spiders? You heart rate decreases so much, “even a doctor would have a hard time”. Or what if he works for Dharma or another organization in Lost and he death was completely faked? The point is, just because you think you see something, that doesn’t mean it’s true.[/quote]
    In the White Rabbit episode from season 1, Jack goes to a morgue in Sydney and identifies Christian’s dead body, which had been found dead in an alley. So there were multiple authorities involve in declaring him dead, which is a little more conclusive than what we saw with Mikhail and Nikki & Paolo.

I suppose there could have been some master plan to fake his death by Widmore or the Others or whomever, but…..I don’t know, I guess I would feel cheated if that turns out to be the case.

15. Meg says:

Toeknee-

16. Toeknee says:

[quote comment="170622"]Toeknee-
    Yeah, I don’t really beleive it either. I’m just saying, you don’t know for sure. Have D & C ever come out and said “Christian is dead”? Cause that would help a lot.[/quote]
    Actually, that is a good point. I don’t know if they have ever said that. I know they have said it about Nikki & Paolo and other characters, but I’m not sure about Christian.

I still think he is dead, but if he turns out to be alive……I just hope there isn’t some lame reasoning behind it.

17. Scott says:

D&C have never confirmed that he’s dead. They did say on a podcast once that he may be but not in the way we would expect. That makes no sence to me but as things happen it probably will. I agree I hope it’s not a lame explaination.

18. Dan says:

He was wearing white shoes… the same type of white shoe that Jack passes on his way to the beach after he wakes up…?

19. KillerR says:

Who else would have work to do but a shepherd with his flock.

The pendelum is swinging.

20. Scott says:

21. Meg says:

[quote comment="170703"]I wonder how soon Jack and Claire will find out that they are brother and sister. It could be another reason Christian is there, if he really is. Maybe he’s also there because of Claire. If his character somehow turns out to be actually real that could be important. His character connects to Jack,Claire,Ana Lucia, & Sawyer.[/quote]
    Jack saves Claire in the pilot episode. I wonder if that has anything to do with the work he has to do?

Meg, I like that idea. The missing pieces only seemed to be relevent to the episodes they came from…not really answering any big questions.

23. Matt says:

Christian IS Jacob. Or at the very least he is responsible for bringing the losties together, body is never found. I believe this is another Lost example of “Chekhov’s Gun.” Never put something on stage unless it will be important later…

24. Wesley says:

25. Meg says:

[quote comment="170837"]I think that Christian might actually be the smoke monster, unless you think that when Walt appeared in the season 3 finale it wasn’t the smoke monster…because both Walt and Christian tell Locke/Vincent (respectively) that they have work to do….
    I believe that it was actually the smoke monster as Walt in the s3 finale, so i find it odd that smoke Walt and Christian would use the same phrase….who knows.[/quote]
    A lot of different characters have used similar phrases through out the seasons. Lockes “Don’t tell me what I can’t do” has been used by quite a few others. That doesn’t mean that they’re Locke. I’m just not convinced that he’s the monster. Why would he call Jack his son? It’s not like Vincent would know the difference. There’s no point.

26. Scott says:

Exactly

28. Meg says:

[quote comment="171227"]Lest we forget the Orchid Orientation video. Some type of malfunction that produced a second number 15 rabbit. We still don’t know what the malfunction was. A time shift? Time travel?

Soooo. Is Christian there from before his death in “our” time? Ponderous man, ponderous.[/quote]
    I didn’t even think of that. That’s a great question.

30. Meg says:

[quote comment="171279"]It a one of my theories I’ve been thinking about ever since the video. It’s possible that Locke actually died in the crash, but he is alive on the island (and able to walk) because of the “time” thing. Rose is cured of cancer and that’s why they can’t/won’t leave the island.[/quote]
    It would answer so many questions with an almost realistic answer. Time travel through a wormhole oe some other means is much more plausible than a magical healing property. But then who did Christian get to the island?

31. Hurley's Dad says:

[quote comment="170624"]D&C have never confirmed that he’s dead. They did say on a podcast once that he may be but not in the way we would expect. [/quote]
    OK…from Lostpedia 4/20/07 Podcast transcript:

Damon Lindelof: Uh… “Number 3 — please confirm again that Christian Shephard is dead. I’m so tired of people who believe the opposite.

Carlton Cuse: Well, you know, for those of you who believe the opposite, you’re wrong. For those of you who believe Christian Shephard is dead, you’re vindicated. How about that?

Damon Lindelof: Wow. Another definitive answer.

Carlton Cuse: I mean, I’m not messin’ around today. I’m not messin’ around.

Damon Lindelof: Of course… [low disclaimer voice] Carlton might be talking about the word ‘dead’ in a way that you don’t fully understand yet. [both chuckling] I feel like I had to do that disclaimer, like at the end of a…

Carlton Cuse: That’s good. A disclaimer.

Damon Lindelof: Yeah.

Carlton Cuse: If ‘dead’ means ‘dead’ in the conventional narrative sense.

Damon Lindelof: [disclaimer voice] Assuming by ‘dead’, you mean rotting and decomposing. [both chuckling] No.

Carlton Cuse: Exactly.

32. Scott says:

Exactly. Based on what D&C are saying about Christian S. we can’t say we’re 100% sure he’s a corpse. The writers are VERY clever.

On Hammer’s entry: That is very interesting and something I haven’t though of.

Naomi says there were no survivors on 815. If she wasn’t lying, I don’t think she was. That could be huge. What if there weren’t survivors but in another time there were? But how would that make sence since on the island as we know it there were many passengers who died in the crash. Oh my head hurts!

33. Michelle says:

who was in the coffin? why does Jack want to go back to the island?

I add to my theory. I think that whatever it is that the hatch controlled is what creates the time travel or cloning or whatever it is. It seemed like in the Orhid video that someone was setting or resetting something that created a second rabbit. I am thinking that when Dez was slow at the switch, it grabbed 815, creating a second one. People on the second plane were also able to die from the crash on the island as opposed the crash in our world that went to the ocean floor. Not every died on the island obviously. The reason Jack wants to go back to the island is because he died in our world and now he can’t handle our reality. He needs to go back to be “normal”.

35. Nederlander says:

I noticed the following last night…at the end of a trailer / preview there is a shot of the island with the name Lost superimposed over the island. In the foreground, reflected in the water is the relection of a city skyline where the relection of the island should be. I verified this on the ABC Lost website. Have I missed this for three years, has anyone else seen this?