"Beginning of the End" Wrap Up

What a week for Lost. Seriously, I think that the season was kicked off with an urgency we have yet to see from the show, and definitely lived up to the hype (if that is even possible with the ABC hype-machine in full effect). Everywhere you turned this week, there was something about the show, and this episode in particular. Here is an overview of some of the more interesting occurrences:

*Christian Shepherd was definitely in Jacob’s chair – To make things even better, when that scene was originally shot, Hurley was the one in the chair and then Cuse/Lindelof changed it after the fact; read Jorge Garcia’s interview with Kristin from E! Online for more

*Abaddon – Not sure if you caught his name, but the corporate guy (originally posing as an Oceanic employee) that visited Hurley in the mental institution is CREEPY and his name literally means “destroyer, or place of destruction” – I am sure we have not seen the last of him

*Jack’s Downward Spiral – Being a serious fan of the good doctor, I think it is going to be compelling and difficult to watch how future Jack gets from where we saw him this week (to Hurley “WE’RE NEVER GOING BACK!”) to where we saw him at the end of last season (to Kate “WE HAVE TO GO BACK!”). I think we are going to see the Oceanic 6 tormented by the people they left behind in visions throughout these flash forwards, much like what we saw with the dialogue between Hurley and Charlie.

*Two Factions – At the end of last season I was seriously doubting Jack’s leadership after seeing his sad state of existence. But, I think we were thrown for somewhat of a loop this week when we see Hurley apologize to Jack in the flash forward for going/siding with Locke. I cannot imagine what happens to the group that ends up following Locke back to the DHARMA barracks

This episode would dictate that Hurley will play a much larger role this season and moving forward (Garcia’s acting in this episode was top notch!). On Thursday we should get some better indication of who the people are that show up to the Island and just how nefarious they may or may not be. I still believe there are two distinct groups looking to get to the Island – both for different reasons (one to exploit, one to protect), and that the people legitimately with Naomi are perhaps not “bad guys” at all. The six that get off the Island (Jack, Kate and Hurley are 3 confirmed) become part of some much larger conspiracy to either protect the identity of the Island or perhaps what happened to the people left behind.

As I write this post, there is extremely positive news breaking that the end of the writer’s strike is imminent. My basic understanding is that it’s likely we will get the entire 16 episode season this year based on the strike being resolved in the next few days – great for us and the show!

68 Responses to "Beginning of the End" Wrap Up

1. The new season of LOST has begun. I now more than ever believe that the core mystery is related to a contained micro black hole and the many world solution of Everett to the Shroeder quantum cat thought experiment, i.e., the cat is both alive and dead, each in parallel or overlapping universes. Hence, Charlie saying he was both alive and dead. It is a common Sci-Fi device: many worlds or different “phases”. The Island and its black hole is a junction or node of several universes, hence the occurence of visions, apparations, precognition, etc. It also explains why Desmond’s deed of initiating the fail-safe key prevented “the destruction of the world and everything” that a released black hole would achieve. After all, there was an implosion, not an explosion, in progress. Also, the localized aurora seen from the archeological search vessel [the search for Flight 815 official web site/Lostpedia summation] is the magnetic field effect from the black hole.

That said, this season should be another great ride.

[Where are all the Lost geeks from this site that filled volumes last season? This forum was much better than the Lostpedia groups.]

2. Lesley says:

Nice wrap up and great news about the strike. I was already preparing for the worst just so I could deal with a measley 8 episodes. A couple of things to note after watching several times and reading a few other summaries:

HO came up several times this ep. H is the 8th letter and O is the 15th letter in the alphabet – 815

Abbaddon seemed to personify smokey. Watch the door as he leaves the room – very creepy!

When Hurley is being questioned by LAPD the room looks very much like the Hydra rooms. NOSMOKING on the wall with the speaker appears as one word and I wonder if it is some kind of clue.

Wasn’t Jack drinking in the morning in the ep? I was under the impression the car chase happened in the morning and that means Jack started his day with a little help from his friend. So he is already on the way down.

Ben’s people went to the temple at the end of season 3. I hope we get a glimpse of the Others in the episodes to come. I have a feeling that going to the barracks is going to be a really bad idea.

3. LostDamery says:

Ok, EXHALE!
    Keep your arms inside as the ride is beginning its climb.
    Here are my 2 cents:
    1) upon a pre episode video of Jacks dad talking with Vincent I believe it is Jacks dad who is talking with Locke about the island, which helped both of them come back from the dead. Jacks Dad is one of the 6..SHOCKER!
    2) Last is Walt and his father are killed by Ben but Walts abilities and the island keep him alive in a ghostly state and he will only show to those who are near death! LOCKE!

Let the the theories FIRE UP!

4. LostDamery says:

PS. Come on people we have seen 2 episodes with flash forwards …is some one working on the “connections” etc.

5. A Kelly says:

This was wrap-up was very nice to see. Thank you for maintaining the original spirit of this fantastic spoiler-free discussion site. This site has completed the experience for me for the last two seasons and I hope that it continues for this one.

I have only left a few comments thus far, but I plan to to comment much more this season. So let me introduce myself with these opening comments

1. It is nice to finally start to get some more site on the long dormant importance of Hurley. I have always thought this his story was way more important than the show had let on thus far. I think we will see his ‘numbers’ circle back around this season. I am very curious to see how Hurley ends up leaving considering that he went with Locke, which leads me to…

2. I think that it Hurley will see Ben working some dastardly plan or see that Ben has some information that Jack needs and take matters into his hands and take Ben back to Jack. This will result in Ben leaving the island and then further lead to Ben being in the coffin (lets try hard to keep this thread free of repeating coffin comments, hope i didnt open that door).

3. Charlie’s appearance has further stoked the flames of my conscious particles theory (ala His Dark Materials). I believe that if you die in as a martyr on the island you achieve transcendence into the universe. In other words your soul’s imprint becomes part of the universe. So.. when the universe needs something (i.e. – the Oceanic 6 back on the island) it appears in a ‘safe’ form. For Hurley, Charlie would be the safest form for the ‘universe’ or the island to take, so it could talk to Hurley in a way that Hurley would accept… only our tubby friend hasn’t quite wrapped his head around that acceptance

Anyway just a few of the things I noticed this wonderful rejuvenating episode of Lost.

6. A Kelly says:

[quote comment="173748"]

[/quote]

HO: Love it when the writers throw those little easter eggs in for the vigilant viewers

Abbadon: Love the choice of last name, very nice touch. While he did personify the smoke and his name is suggestive of evil, i think its important to notice that he was sitting on the WHITE side of the chess board…

Kate: I’ll have to go back and watch, but does she really not have freckles on the island OR is it just in the flash forward?

7. A Kelly says:

[quote comment="173748"]

[/quote]

holla back

8. Lesley says:

I agree with Lone and A Kelly, this site originally attracted me so long ago because of the theories everyone had and how we all expounded on those theories, together. Hopefully we will keep building new theories – we sure have a lot more information now. I am fascinated with time travel and parellel universes. Charlie appears to both Hurley and another inmate. He is able to slap Hurley because he exists in a different time/space than that on the island. He is alive in the “future” because the real world future exists in the LOST island’s past. Did that make sense? Charlie as seen by Hurley has not yet died on the island and that is part of why the six must return. The hatch explosion exposed a wormhole and somehow the six (and Charlie and Desmond) can exist in the real world beyond or outside of island time. Richard Alpert does not age on the island because time does not move there as it does outside of the island. Perhaps that is why the Losties are dead in the plane and alive on the island at the same time. That also explains how Walt grew being outside of the island’s time/space. The island exists in a different time/space layer.

It is true about Kate’s freckles. Look at the most recent ep and you will notice she has no freckles. For that matter in season one Charlie could not swim but when he swam down the TLG (after the hatch implosion) he was a former swim champ. TPTB are very cautious about continuity, this cannot be a coincidence. These are definitely time glitches.

9. Lesley says:

A Kelly, you are correct about the white side of the chess board and Mr. Abbaddon. There is also another notable easter egg. Behind him on the wall there is a ladybug. The labybug has a mythical past being associated in some cultures with Gad or the the virgin Mary. It is also the symbol for the Dutch Foundation Against Senseless Violence! Around the room there are also several butterflies on the wall and those must represent metamorphosis.

10. Lesley says:

Ooops I meant to type God.

11. nakira says:

Lesley,

I am contemplating on possible anagrams for NO SMOKING. I haven’t ever been questioned by the LAPD so maybe I may be a looking into this too much.

I was great that the chess board divided Abbadon and Hurley much how there conversation went back and forth. Reminded me of Locke’s game and how he won and blew up the communication station.

As for Kate, I noticed in the flash forward she was driving a Volvo. Kate doesn’t seem like the type of girl to get a Volvo unless she’s now a mom. I couldn’t see a carseat though.

Maybe Evangeline Lilly had skin treatment since she had so much sun damage filming in Hawaii,and that’s how she lost her freckles- J/K.

12. Ali says:

This is my first time to the site, and I’ve just started watching Lost 3 months ago! Of course I am obsessed and managed to watch all of them during this time;)

Anyways… regarding Christian Shepherd in Jacob’s chair. Interesting! I think you are right. I was wondering who that was. I don’t know if this was mentioned before, but during the episode in which Jacob was first introduced (to us and to Locke) in seemed their was a split second flash of a woman with blond curly hair sitting in the chair. I am thinking that this is Ben’s mom. Did anyone else notice this?

Also, the man looking outside the window (of Jacob’s hut) at Hurley? Who was that? Was that Ben’s father?

13. tj says:

I too am intrigued by the parallel universe possibility, but find myself perplexed by a few things. Why has Ben, who arrived on the island as a child, aged when Richard Alpert has not? Just a little glitch that keeps coming up in my mind that I hope someone is able to put to rest for me

14. LINDA says:

BEEN WATCHING LOST SINCE DAY ONE. LOVE IT.
    ALSO WHEN MAN IS TAKING TO HURLEY IN HOSPITAL IN BACK OF HURLEY ON CHALK BOARD ARE DRAWINGS OF A ISLAND, A SHARK, A PLANE ETC,, TAKE A LOOK

15. clover says:

[quote comment="173831"]Look at the most recent ep and you will notice she has no freckles. For that matter in season one Charlie could not swim but when he swam down the TLG (after the hatch implosion) he was a former swim champ. TPTB are very cautious about continuity, this cannot be a coincidence. These are definitely time glitches.[/quote]

16. Toeknee says:

[quote comment="173748"]
    [/quote]

One little glitch in this theory is that Saywer did call Kate “Freckles” after Desmond started “monkeying around with fate”. According to the transcripts at Lost-TV.com, it seems that the last time he called her that was in the “Catch22″ episode, which occurred well after Desmond told Charlie about his visions. I think the reason Sawyer stopped calling her “Freckles” has to do with the changes in Sawyer after he killed the original Sawyer. He became a darker person – remember how he killed Tom (Mr. Friendly) pretty much without hesitation?

I should add that I’m not watching the show on HDTV, so from my not-so-high-quality picture I can’t tell if in the more recent island scenes Kate indeed has no Freckles. But in the flash-forward, she had so much make-up on that it seems to me the freckles would be hidden anyways.

17. Toeknee says:

[quote comment="174203"]
    well, when charlie said he was a swimming champion, he lied, because he wanted to convince sayid to go to the looking glass… he wasn’t a swimming champion, but he KNEW it was him who had to go.[/quote]

[quote comment="174207"][quote comment="174203"]
    I agree, and to take this one step further, back in season 1 when Charlie said he couldn’t swim, I think he was only saying that because he didn’t want to risk his own life and swim out to try to save the woman who was apparently drowning. He was a different person then – still addicted to drugs, hadn’t really bonded with anyone on the island yet. By the end of season 3, he had evolved into a more selfless person, willing to risk his life for someone he loved.[/quote]
    Also, in the ep. where his father coaxed him into jumping into the pool, I took it as that was when he learned to swim and took a big interest in it because his gained acceptance from his father by jumping in…may have lead him to be a champion swimmer?

19. Lesley says:

20. A Kelly says:

[quote comment="174274"]Nice work Toeknee, I did not check the transcripts. I also do not have HDTV and cannot see any freckles in the latest episode although I do recall seeing freckles in the past. I guess time will answer that one. I still believe there are different time/space layers and the island plays a huge part in their existence. Maybe like the Dark Tower, the island acts as the meeting point for all parallel time/space layers.[/quote]

agreed, nice spot Toeknee. I always had a hard time swallowing the theory that Charlie’s past was changed due to Desmond. I think that if Charlie had become a champion swimmer do to some time rip, much more would have changed as well. You can’t just change one thing in the past. One thing changes everything. I think this will be a key point of the show.

I feel certain that time has a big part of the show, but as of yet nothing really settles in to a solid theory. Parallel universes, time travel, wormholes, all involved somehow but, not just one i dont think.

I think that perhaps rather than traveling through time in a linear fashion when the leave the island, it will be more like coming back to an alternate reality.
    Another universe, where some things happened the same and others didn’t. (i.e. – Jack’s dad dying, Kate committing murder, etc…)

I do agree that the island does serve as a nexus of time and space ala Dark Tower, especially considering the known love for Stephen King that the writers of this show have. But also knowing the method of their writing, I think we will definitely see their own spin on this idea.

21. RSR says:

Are we sure that Kate is one of the Oceanic 6? I doubt that surviving a plane crash would get her off the hook with the authorities for murder, and her meeting with Jack appeared to be in a pre-arranged secret spot. The Oceanic 6 seem way too famous for someone wanting to keep a low profile.

22. MT says:

I hear and read a lot about theories about time is different on the island than everywhere else. That’s interesting, and there does seem to be something going on with time stuff, but I wonder if a couple of things might contradict that.

Any thoughts on that guys?

23. Abby says:

Just wanted to say first that this is far and away my favorite site to discuss Lost theory and weekly story lines, so thanks to everyone who contributes constructively.

I loved this week’s premiere…it really lived up to all the hype, thank goodness! The whole element of time is really fascinating and I look forward to seeing how the Oceanic 6 are going to cope with life post-island. I wanted to second Nakira in her thinking that Kate’s car is very mom-like…I think the “him” that’s waiting at home is she and Sawyer’s child.

I also really liked the police questioning w/ Hurley and how they always manage to pack every frame full of clues (having Charlie’s hand read “they need you” before it breaks the glass in the interrogation room was such a fun little easter egg).

Hope the season maintains this momentum and that the end of the writer’s strike is imminent.

24. Lesley says:

MT if time moves faster outside of the island and the Others were able to come and go between the time layers (before the purple haze) then the Sox game was played long before, allowing Ben to show Jack the video. Considering their methods of manipulation it is likely they kept track of time off-island via Patchy’s communicaiton station. The glitch is what tj points out – that Ben (on the island since he was a child) has aged but Richard has not.

It would make sense that Kate may not be one of the six. She avoided Jack’s calls and seemed annoyed that he wanted a meeting. Hard to keep hidden if you are meeting celebreties on a regular basis. I wonder how many other “low-profile” survivors got off the island?

25. meathead says:

26. clover says:

[quote comment="174558"]Specifically, I’m thinking of the time when Ben shows Jack video of the Red Sox winning the world series. He’s pretty specific about how many days it’s been and exactly what date it is. That seems to be point to time working at the same pace in both places.[/quote]

well, i think that if time moves slower on the island, than maybe on the mainland could’ve passed even 3 years so far :P ben probably taped the game and showed jack the recording, knowing how many days passed since the plane crashed on the island…

27. Scott says:

I love this site. It is by far one of the best I’ve read for discussion.

28. A Kelly says:

I think there is a lot more to the time element of this show as i said. I am loving all the theories thus far, but the only one I can really get behind is that they have arrived off the island sometime in the near future. 3 years does sound like a good number or so. I don’t think that continuity of the show provides for them being in the past and it didn’t look like they were in a far away future. Just a few years ahead of when they crashed…

29. A Kelly says:

[quote comment="174989"]I love this site. It is by far one of the best I’ve read for discussion.

OK, the funniest line to me in last weeks ep was Ben’s. “Jack with your permission I’d rather go with Locke”. Just thought it was funny but it also brings up a point. There was no exchange between Ben & Locke. If I were Locke I would have some things to discuss if you know what I mean. There seems to be a gap in time between when Locke got out of the pit that Ben left him in and when he Shish kabobed Naomi. I wonder if Locke really knows/understands more than he’s letting on.[/quote]

You may be right, but i think that has to do more with Ben seeing an opportunity to stay on the island. I think that John at least has understanding of why Ben shot him, and is willing to forgive him at least for the time being so they can get the hell away from whoever is coming to the island.

30. timo says:

when locke was ‘resurrected’ after having been shot…his attitude to taking life was transformed…remember how he procrastinated over whether or not to kill his father, eventually resigning himself to the fact that he could not do it. after he arose however he did not hesitate in flinging his knife at naomi…from behind even. both he and ben seem to ‘know’ info that no one else is privvy to…probably because of their affinity with the island.

also george bukowski…that is how the guy on the phone introduces himself. was that also the name of the fellow who blew his brains out in the hatch? the man that desmond replaced?

31. tickles says:

I love this show…it really makes people think. Which is always a good thing! First off, I was so scared that when Hurley said he wanted to do a cannonball in the ocean that Charlie’s body was going to float up. I hid my face in the pillow…I just knew that was going to happen. For a long time I have thought that everything is a figment of Hurley’s imagination…that he is in a catonic state in a mental institution. I personally love Hurley and think he is adorable.
    This is for everyone speculating on Charlie’s swimming abilities…I remember him not being able to swim and then he did say he was a champion swimmer. I just took that as Charlie was now a believer in Desmond and knew he had to be the one to go…it was pre-destined. Remember how Hurley wanted to go with Charlie? Made me think of when Frodo tried to go off in the boat without Sam and Sam almost died…Could this be a clue as to the Hurley/Charlie relationship? (Charlie was a Hobbit, after all.)
    As to Kate and no freckles. Maybe Claire dies somehow and Kate comes back impersonating her w/Aron? The island has cured Locke and Rose…maybe it has somehow altered Kate’s fingerprints? Kate has to wear a lot of make-up to cover her freckles. It would be nice to think that Kate and Sawyer are together but I think Sawyer lost his soul on the island. I think it must be Ben or Locke in the coffin. That is why no one else gives a damn about their death. Jack has a love/hate relationship with Locke. I do not think either Ben or Locke would leave the island willingly…Jack may have forced one of them to leave and now he is racked with guilt at their death. If Locke became paralyzed again I think he would kill himself. I don’t think it is Michael. No one hated Michael…even after he betrayed them and killed Libby. Michael was trying to save Walt. I think Walt still will play a much bigger part in this whole saga. And just for the record…I have never understood why everyone was so quick to truct Desmond. He was the idiot who blew up the hatch! I miss Mr. Ecko..he was pretty cool.

32. Lesley says:

John actually has a vested interest in Ben’s survival at this point. It really doesn’t matter what Ben does as it seems he is unable to kill John. Ben is clearly the key to the island’s secrets as he knows where the temple is along with the rest of the Others. Ben on the other hand, knows that John is protected by Jacob. Do you notice how quiet Ben gets when he is at a disadvantage? He soaks in all the information for later use.

Kate might have a child but there is someone else in the picture as well. You don’t just up and leave a three year old when Jack calls for a midnight rendezvous.

meathead, I believe the skyline under the island is LA.

33. timo says:

when locke was ‘resurrected’ after having been shot…his attitude to taking life was transformed…remember how he procrastinated over whether or not to kill his father, eventually resigning himself to the fact that he could not do it. after he arose however he did not hesitate in flinging his knife at naomi…from behind even. both he and ben seem to ‘know’ info that no one else is privy to…probably because of their affinity with the island.

also…somebody mentioned the island appearing to the people who had been there in a form that they could accept…eg charlie visiting hurley…i did notice though that another patient could see charlie. he pointed him out to hurley and said he had been staring at him.

34. Lesley says:

Radzinsky was Kelvin’s partner in the hatch who committed suicide. George Minkowski is the freighter bloke. (That is also the name of a German mathematician.)

Locke certainly had no problem killing Naomi and that would seem to be island/Jacob related. But it seems that some of the same attitude has rubbed off on Jack because he was certainly going to kill Locke and he told Tom he was going to kill him as well.

35. Missy says:

I thought that was funny too – but did you catch that just before this scene, Jack says to Ben, “I’m not letting you out of my sight” – or something like that. Then moments later, he lets Ben out of his sight to go with Locke. I found that odd. But I suppose Jack wasn’t caring too much, thinking they’re all getting off the island.

36. Missy says:

37. NikkiV says:

[quote comment="175113"]when locke was ‘resurrected’ after having been shot…his attitude to taking life was transformed…both he and ben seem to ‘know’ info that no one else is privy to…

also george bukowski…that is how the guy on the phone introduces himself.[/quote]

I have a question about Locke seemingly “knowing” things other people don’t. For example, and maybe I just missed it during the premiere, Locke met Hurley in the woods after Hurley saw Jacob’s cabin. How did Locke know about Charlie??

Also, I think the guy on the phone is George Mialkowski. I think someone else has said this too..

38. Toeknee says:

[quote comment="175292"]
    [/quote]

39. NikkiV says:

[quote comment="175296"][quote comment="175292"]
    [/quote]
    When Locke first appears near Jacob’s cabin, Hurley is laying on the ground, looks up, and sees Locke. Then there’s a commercial break. After the break, Hurley is sitting up, talking with Locke. Presumably, during the commercial break, Hurley let Locke know what happened.[/quote]

I figured, but would the writers actually do that purposely?

40. Abby says:

I kind of just figured that the city skyline was a reference to those who will get off the island–who will go back to civilization (the juxtaposition of those images is a great analogy for how the group is split now)…you never know with the producers of this show though–they’re always ready to put a subliminal meaning in everything (and I for one, love it!).

41. Abby says:

[quote comment="175289"]I saw above where someone mentioned the city skyline underneath the word “Lost.” I made my husband watch the recap show before the new episode aired, hoping to get him hooked too. The city skyline was the first thing he notice. I’ve never really noticed it. Is there an explanation? I could see it meaning something and be hidden in plain sight as so many of those clever little nuggets are. Anyone?[/quote]
    I thought since I first saw the skyline that it was just a reference to those who would leave the island for “the real world” or perhaps an analogy of how the survivors are now split–either way, the juxtaposition of the skyline and the island are pretty eerie. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

42. Abby says:

Whoops! Sorry for the double comment. I thought my computer had eaten the first one;-)

43. Omar Kamel says:

Lost.

Two days before I watched ‘The Begining of The End’ I sat down with a friend of mine, a fellow Lost convertee. We discussed the characters on the show, and whereas we both indicated a very real trust in John Locke. Our opinions on Jack & Sawyer were quite far apart.

In brief, I considered Sawyer the more heroic of the two, and I made an observation and a prediction regarding Jack.

But surely, my friend reasoned – I only saw Sawyer’s occasional acts of nobility as heroic because they were so scant. Surely I was contrasting them to his general attitude and therefore, as rarities, gave them higher value than Jack’s more consistent and enduring heroics – that we saw in action with the very first episode of Lost – from the moment he opened his eyes and went about saving people.

My only partially reasoned counter to this was that it was easier for Jack to do ‘the right thing’ – he’d been more or less programmed into it from birth, his family, his profession, he was the straight-up guy – for all intents and purposes – Jack, when it comes to doing the right thing, has the wind at his back.

With Sawyer, nothing could be further than the truth. If anything, life has taught him to do the exact opposite – to look out for nobody but himself, and to disregard anybody else in anything other than an instrumental fashion. And yet – we’ve seen him go against his geist – and despite all reason to the contrary, make moral choices. The clearest of which might’ve been when we saw him revoke a con after seeing that his mark had a young son. Despite all psychological odds to the contrary, Sawyer chose not to subject another child to what he himself was subjected to as a child.

And I have come to distrust Jack.

This distrust commenced in parallel to the growing distance between him and John Locke, and for me, personally, was sealed when I saw him on the beach with Juliette, after she had joined the our Losties – and he said that he trusted her because after seeing the look in her eyes when Ben announced that Locke had blown up the submarine, he had realized that she, like him, was desperate to get off the island. In that moment, with that statement, I knew Jack was no longer ‘a good guy’. My friend thought that opinion too radical. Surely, he suggested, anybody in his right mind would be desperate to get off the island – and Locke was no example to hold in this regard, because he had special reasons to want to remain on the island.

Still, I would not budge on this. It was clear to me that from that moment onwards, we had seen that Jack had just had too much. He had been broken, and in being that desperate towards one specific goal, was no longer a reliable moral guide. His prime directive was no longer to ‘do good’, but to ‘get off the island’.

And so, I distrust Jack. Between that desperation and the appearence of a guilt-stricken drunk we’d seen in the 1st flash-forward at the end of Season 3 – I knew that Jack would do something horrible. Immoral, unforgivable, and just wrong.

Sure enough, this episode – by pulling that trigger – Jack is, excuse the inadvertant pun, Lost.

He tried to kill Locke. He pulled that trigger in cold blood, with everybody watching, and whether or not that gun was loaded, Jack has gone to the Dark Side and isn’t coming back anytime soon. I’ve seen people here suggest that by killing Naomi, the same could be said of Locke, but I just don’t feel that to be the case. Locke’s is driven by necessity and understanding, not desperation, and thus his actions have to be weighed in a completely different way. Naomi had come to them, and she was leading them to something quite terrible, and everybody was listening to Jack, but Jack would not listen.

I have no clue who’s in the coffin, and I haven’t ventured to make guesses about it. I also have no clue who the ‘6’ are since having Hurley be one of them (despite his being with Locke) and having at least Jack be one of the them too – makes it clear that something happened in between. It’s not a simple matter of Jack’s group making it, or Locke’s group making it. Obviously something more complicated took or will take place…

Also – I do not think that Hurley’s ‘apology’ to Jack was meant to necessarily imply that going with Locke was a mistake, it could just as well mean that he’s sorry to have ‘abandoned’ Jack at a time when he thinks he might have been of help. That is, it might well turn out that it was safer to be with Locke right now (as Sawyer’s instincts surmised…) and that Jack’s group (as Ben and Locke believe) is about to get royally screwed. The apology might just be Hurley’s regret at what happened to Jack, and that he was not there to support him or the others in his group. That he ‘let’ Jack lie in the bed he’d made when perhaps he could have done more to convince him to join them, or perhaps, at least, stood by them when the shit hit the proverbial fan.

Wonderful show :)

Also – I have to admire the writers for narrative smarts. The first 3 season flashbacks always drove momentum by causing us to always re-assess the characters by comparing their actions on the island to what was revealed to us about their pasts. Now, I somewhat assume that by mirroring the whole time-narrative, we now have to re-assess their present by what is revealed about their futures. Until, eventually, both lines meet.

Absolutely brilliant work…

Agh, another 36 hours or so…

Oh, shameless plug – if you click my name, you can hear some of my music on lastfm :)

44. Omar Kamel says:

Oh, and to further demonstrate just how far Jack has gone – did you hear what Locke said right before Jack pulled that trigger?

“You’re not going to shoot me Jack, anymore than I was gonna shoot..” – the end of that sentence was almost certainly ‘you’ – in reference to the confrontation from the end of season 3, after Locke got Naomi.

Locke, as made clear by this statement, had no intention of shooting Jack. It is this incident now that will prove to Locke that Jack is not only a non-believer, but frankly, just a moral mess.

So yeah, Jack’s gone nuts. Locke is Sane.

Of course, Rose doesn’t see that – but then again, we have to take into consideration that Rose hasn’t seen quite as much as either of them has, to her eyes – Jack has in fact, been the good ‘Shepherd’…although still, she should’ve found it shocking to see Jack pull that trigger, that should’ve raised a red flag to her…

Desmond is a big, big, HUGE question. I have NO clue why he’s with the Jack group. I can imagine two explanations. The first is that he’s simply a broken man who’s been on the Island for so long that he’ll clutch at any chance, no matter how remote, to get off the island, and he hopes that somehow, he’ll be able to make his way to Penny that way. The other is that his fore-sight is somehow in play, and that he is with Jack specifically to try to use that fore-sight to help Jack deal with coming events. Still, if that were it – I’d expect we’d have been shown some clue to that, a remark of some sort. Instead, when it comes to Desmond – we’re given no indication as to his motivation. So I guess we’ll have to see that develop. As it stands, it’s just weird.

Another 35 hours :) ? lol

And yeah, excuse my rambling.

45. Lostie42 says:

reply to one of Omar’s comments:

When Jack explained why he trusted Juliette, I thought his trust not based on logic. If she wanted to get off the island that badly, she would lie and pretend and do whatever to get off the island! Perhaps even being a spy for the Others.

I’m still amazed at how much punishment Ben’s taken and early on and intentionally at that! That said, blowing up one’s buddies could be “OK.” OK with the island, which requires sacrifice (why? and why the “bad” ones. [Locke's dad] and what does it really prove or accomplish for the doer?) and possibly even OK with Ben. (He had Patchy off the 2 women and he is the author of the Purge) … so, Juliette could still be a spy or not loyal to anybody. who knows?!

but all that said to say that i liked your comment about Jack losing his moral compass… that he’s the one that is now bent on getting off the island … at *any* cost.

Another point about ppl’s moral compass… it bugs me to no end that Ben and the Other’s — or rather the ppl working for Ben as we cannot be too sure if they were recruits or actual Others — can kill, abduct, and break every bone in someone’s body and repeatedly say, “we’re the good guys.”

and for that… and this isn’t said simply, but Mr. Friendly deserved it. He took, by force, a child (perhaps i’m showing my hand), but if we think (emotionally) and this happens to you, how’d you react when you meet up w/ the kidnapper?

amazing how this gets me to think more (grr) but shouldn’t it have been Michael? rather than killing 2 losties and injuring himself?

more random points:

are we still getting shippments? cuz ppl have got to be running out of bullets soon!

and they’re building a landing strip or not? if so, strange how Ben wanted the sub gone (to maintain power over his ppl, right?), but was opening another door. kinda contradictory, no?

perhaps Hurley’s lucky streak has mirrored… — he considered winning that lotto *bad* [ppl died, buildings got hit by meteors] and the only “good” thing was that he kept making more and more money. — rather than assuming that making baskets repeatedly is a bad thing… or a sign of a being in a bad / wrong place.

Desmond, Ben, Juliette could *not* be considered part of the “Oceanic” 6, right?

any news on the writer’s strike? not to be a bummer, but i doubt we’d get more than 8 eps even if it ended right now. not in the know, but i’d think an ep would take more than 8 weeks total production time. furthermore, if things drag on… how many things have to go right to maintain the story arcs and keep the cast happy, alive, driving sober, and freckle free?

lastly, flash forward to our future — potential *spoiler*, but currently just conjecture — we find out that Lost and all of its related content was all a carefully crafted experiment by the government to find qualified Starfighters!!!

(if i’m right and i disappear, pls do ***not*** stop!!! the entire fleet might get blown up and it’ll be up to you guys!!!!)

peace & 42

46. Toeknee says:

[quote comment="175321"][quote comment="175296"][quote comment="175292"]
    [/quote]

I figured, but would the writers actually do that purposely?[/quote]

Absolutely. D&C have said in the past that in general they don’t think it would be very entertaining if they were to show a conversation where one character explains to another character the events that the viewer has just seen. Personally, I’m glad they choose to not show those conversations. We only get 42 minutes of Lost each week – I prefer that they use that time to show/tell us new information that gets the story moving as opposed to rehashing past events we already know about.

47. opensphere says:

A bit miffed…

There was no justifiable reason for removing my post relating to my interest in the parallel universe theory and the cat hypothesis re if they are relevant to Lost. Ditto re. my interest in the idea of a collective creative consciousness
    ( http://multiversions.blogspot.com/ , http://mindflight777.blogspot.com/ and the first post in this thread to which I was replying.)

If these were removed because of the links then sorry but it’s a waste of time to copy all the stuff I’ve already said elsewhere.

These are topics of genuine personal interest, and I feel they ARE very relevant to what’s happening in Lost. If you don’t think I’m serious about my interest in Lost check out how much I’ve researched the Dharma Initiative / dharma stuff re. the original Lost Experience online:

OK, maybe you DON’T like the fact that my blog sites overlap three worlds, those of Lost, TLE and my novel, but this too is why they are there, I’m fascinated by the overlap, a huge fan of Lost and curious as to the differences and coincidences, especially philosophy-wise.

If there’s something you’re not OK with then at least say what so I can repost and rectify.

Finally, as I can’t watch at the mo, is there any possibility the plane at the end of S3 could be flight 815? Thinking possible time loop (Locke can walk after being paralysed, Sun fertile after being infertile, Hurley’s numbers scene in mental institute: before/after/both?, maybe the way the hatch number entry failsafe works (island destroyed then ok?), the beginning of the end = the end of the beginning?…) They are after all teasing us with the new LE ‘Find (flight) 815′.

Congrats to the Lost team btw, sounding so good I can’t wait til I finally get to see the new eps (as I’m stuck to keeping up through the forums at the moment).

48. Toeknee says:

[quote comment="175582"]
    [/quote]
    I don’t think that particular plane would be 815, because it was leaving LA, whereas the flight we know as 815 left Sydney, heading to LA. It may be the same aircraft, I suppose, in some sort of time loop thing, but there’s no credible reason that it would have all the same passengers as the original 815.

opensphere – are you aware that you can watch the latest episodes at ABC’s website? Here’s the link: http://dynamic.abc.go.com/streaming/landing?lid=ABCCOMGlobalMenu&lpos=FEP

49. Pam says:

[quote comment="174602"]What’s with the city underneath the title of Lost during the previews? Anyone notice that?[/quote]
    I think it’s a nice touch from whoever decided on it. I think it just points out that the show is about life on an unknown or “lost” island AND life in regular society. Also , is this skyline reflection new for this season? I can remember noticing It for the first time in a season 4 commercial.

50. Handsome_Pete says:

[quote comment="173748"]Kate STILL has no freckles. J Wood (at Powells Books) observes that they disappeared after Des started monkeying around with fate. The writers even point it out when Kate asks Sawyer “since when did you start calling me Kate”. Time layers and worm holes – Don’t you just love that?!

I was under the impression Sawyer had taken to calling everyone by their real name after losing the ping-pong bet to Hurley…

51. opensphere says:

‘opensphere – are you aware that you can watch the latest episodes at ABC’s website?…’

It’s US only. Guess what I think of Sky for making a once free to air series a payloadstowatch series…

Like I say, I’ll wait for the dvd. Think it’s morally wrong if something is free to air (terrestrial tv) then gets nabbed by a greedy company so some people can’t see it anymore. (Sky nabbed it from Channel 4 here in the UK)

52. Lesley says:

Omar, your analysis of Jack’s and Locke’s motivations is dead on. I especially loved it when Jack asked Locke “Are you insane?”! The good doctor it appears is acting on raw emotion without any moral compass. While Locke killed Naomi because she was a threat to the island, Jack is motivated to kill Locke, Ben and Tom simply because he is pissed.

I am guessing the two groups will meet up agin before the “rescue” takes place, perhaps to share information or make a lst ditch effort to change the minds of the other group.

Regarding Desmond and Locke. Des was there when Locke made the incredibly stupid decision to bail on the numbers. I am guessing that he doesn’t trust Locke’s judgment. He also wants to persuade Jack that Charlie’s warning was real, don’t you think?

Tomorrow cannot get here fast enough.

53. Sawyer's Evil Twin says:

Ok, quick couple of comments: Kate didn’t have freckles in the flash forward because she had makeup on. She was really gussied up. I guess she doesn’t have police problems anymore?? Next, was the dressed up Jack who met Hurley in the gym at a time before Jack goes to the funeral parlor? In other words, have we seen something that happened before Jack goes over the deep end? My main problem still, after several seasons, how in hell does a plane split apart above mountains and the people in the tail section survive???!!! Let alone the front section. I’m not sayin’, I’m just sayin’. I read above where it was questioned how Ben aged from a child but the other guy is still the same age. So many questions. I love this show but my biggest problem with it is each episode creates more questions than answers. But I’ll never miss an episode.

54. Omar Kamel says:

Lesley, thanks :)

Naomi not only threatened the Island, but also – if we’re to believe both Ben & Locke – the survivors :)

I just mean – Locke isn’t just right because he’s following the apparently mysterious dictates of the island – but also because he actually does sincerly care for the ‘group’. That’s why he had no intention at all to shoot Jack in the previous episode. He still (to my mind up until Jack actually pulled the trigger) thought of himself and Jack as being part of the same group. He’s had severe disagreements with Jack, but would never have wanted to ‘betray’ him as such.

As I said in a post long, long ago – my deep faith in Locke’s character started specifically with that episode in the distant past when after he’d made a dog whistle and found Vincent, he chose to let Michael give Vincent back to Walt rather than deliver Vincent to Walt himself. His moral compass is not swayed by circumstance, and he is looking out for others as much as the sitation allows. I’ve felt a deep admiration and respect for Locke since that moment onwards and despite the incredibly bad time the writers inflicted on him during Season 2 – I have yet to see him consciously choose to do something bad.

Locke IS special, but it may not be because of any mumbo-jumbo stuff – simply that he is by far one of the kindest characters on the show.

And I apologize again for the length of the post. One day, I’ll learn to just put it all in one sentence…

55. Omar Kamel says:

Sawyer’s Evil Twin…

Not sure this post belongs here since it’s not directly related to this episode – so er…if the powers that be choose to delete this post, well, no blame, as the I-Ching says…

BUT…

As for how so many survivors … survived the plane crash – well, I’ve long thought that the whole thing has been clearly ‘set-up’ somehow – like when you prepare a stage for some show. You set up the lights, you prep the props, you put everybody in place and you say ‘GO! ACTION!’ – etc…

This was further demonstrated by the last mobisode we saw during which Jack’s father was clearly part of the group – whoever that is – behind the set-up. He was there right before everything was set in motion – and the attitude clearly implied that the whole thing was a set-up of some sorts.

Which leaves us not so much with a WHAT? But with a bit of a huge HOW. Given that it was a setup…HOW could this have been set-up? Was time frozen right after the plane split? And then the smoke monster in a fit of benign stage-prepping – slowly lowered people onto the island, put Jack on his back somewhat gently in the bamboo bushes, etc?

That just sounds weird. Like it’s 20% right, but totally wrong somehow. So I don’t know.

That’s one of the biggest questions, certainly.

We’ll see :)

56. timo says:

i am not too sure what you mean by ‘spoiler’. my understanding is that a ‘spoiler’ reveals info about a future storyline that is certainly true…so i hope that it is okay if i just do a little speculation here…in fact come to think of it…this is not even speculation really…okay…or maybe it will be. i am not exactly sure about what i will write yet.

when jack was watching tv that morning…and the car chase was tipping along…and then the car stopped and was surrounded…and police ordered the driver to exit the vehicle…well…i thought for a second that jack might be the driver…that the island could have somehow opened up a portal to an alternate universe where other versions of the characters could have access to other realities…which would then allow for the existance of two ‘jacks’ in one dimension.

so maybe ‘kate with freckles’ and ‘kate without freckles’ are two different individuals-based on the same person-but from slightly different concurrently existing realities?

maybe that is why…what’s the lads name?…the scottish buck says…’see you in another life’ to jack when they meet while jogging at the stadium…maybe that is literally true…well…kind of literally…that ‘i will see you again, but we may be two different people at the time.’

that could also explain how the people on the flight were all found dead…as naomi says…and yet still be alive on the island. maybe the original passengers on the plane are all dead…and the characters we know are replacements…and they do not even know it.

there is some secret that jack and hurley share…could it be that they somehow met with and then abandoned other versions of themselves on the island.

maybe the reason that locke finds it so easy to kill naomi is that it is not the locke that we have come to know. maybe after ben shot him he was replaced by another version – a more killing version.

does anyone know what kate was doing before she lost her freckles? i don’t own season 3 yet so i can’t check myself.

perhaps these alternate realities are the source of all these dead people who have appeared upon the island…eg jack’s father, echo’s brother.

now just one other thing here…maybe not really related…but did anyone else get the impression that ben might have had something to do with naomi’s revival. everyone seemed to think that she was dead. then ben looked at her…there was a little music…like something mystical was about to occur…and the next thing we knew…she was alive.

can ben imagine something and quickly make it manifest…like that magic box he told locke about…imagine anything you want and it shall be…

if that is something that the island can do…then maybe walt and locke are ‘special’ because they have powerful imaginations. back in the early episodes walt was reading about a polar bear in a comic book and then a real polar bear came along…and locke is ‘a man of faith’…a man who tries to believe.

hurley also seems to be developing a similar affinity with the island…he can see things…and then force them to dissapear…like jacob’s house…and charlie – though that was off the island.

well…that’s it for the time being. thanks to leslie for clearing up my ‘bukowski’ question.

57. Christine says:

Someone told me that the helicopter in the season premiere had the dharma logo on it. I didn’t notice it. Does anyone know if that is true?

I also found it odd that Jack would let Ben go with Locke. Those are the two people who are trying to prevent him from getting off the island. And then he’s just hanging out with Kate looking at the wreckage from the plane – with his guard totally down. It doesn’t make sense that Jack would go from pulling the trigger on Locke to that. Is he working with somebody else? The way he rounded everyone up, telling them to gather on the beach together so they could be seen – is he setting them up? This is still the guy who was playing football with The Others.

58. DocH says:

Food for thought.

We saw Hurley, back home, in a ‘maddened’ state of mind, having ‘visions’ of Charlie. We also know that Hurley has had ‘visions’ before – his friend Dave(?) I believe. When he saw Charlie, Charlie looked nicely dressed and groomed, nothing like his island (or pre-island) self.

Now we know Jack has had ‘visions’. He has conversed with his dead father. He was in a state of despair when he did. We have also seen Jack post-island, in a depressed & maddened state, nearly suicidal, in the season 3 finale . In that state, who did he converse with that was nicely dressed & groomed, nothing like her island (or pre-island) self? That would be Kate!

So… if a dead Charlie appeared to a “crazy” island survivor like Hurley, may I suggest that Kate is dead too, appearing to “crazy” island survivor Jack. KATE IS NOT ONE OF THE OCEANIC SIX. It also explains why she is well to-do, not incarcerated, and we don’t see any freckles.

59. clover says:

[quote comment="175430"]So yeah, Jack’s gone nuts. Locke is Sane.

Desmond is a big, big, HUGE question. I have NO clue why he’s with the Jack group. I can imagine two explanations. The first is that he’s simply a broken man who’s been on the Island for so long that he’ll clutch at any chance, no matter how remote, to get off the island, and he hopes that somehow, he’ll be able to make his way to Penny that way. The other is that his fore-sight is somehow in play, and that he is with Jack specifically to try to use that fore-sight to help Jack deal with coming events.[/quote]

First of all, i think that Locke is going to be the bad guy here… Beacuse bad guys are usually portrayed as weak persons. And well, you don’t get much weakwer than Locke, who always got played by anyone who tried to play him: anthony cooper, his mother, the cop in the marijuana farm, and multiple multiple ben deceipts.

He is extremely selfish, because he wants to walk on, and off the island he couldn’t walk. and he had the audacity to be all wise and advice-giving to each one of the characters on the island, including Claire, Charlie and Kate, when he couldn’t even trust himself and his decisions, being manipulated by anyone who needed something from him…

i don’t see him ever getting better, ever becoming a man with a SPINE and a good head… the bad thing is that he’s taking everyone down with him, everyone stupid enough to trust him as a leader.

yes, it was NOT PENNY’S BOAT. but that doesn’t mean taht they couldn’t use the boat, whomever’s it may be, to try to go home, away form all the psycho-killer-manipulators (ben), the weird fauna (polar bears, sharks, hurley birds), the illusionist’s huts and the strange aparitions that seem to get people killed (ecko, shannon).

60. Miraks says:

Few thoughts:
    Could the “he” Kate was refering to having to get back to be her husband? Maybe after she returned from the island and became a celebrity she got a pardon for killing her abusive step-father?

Could the sister Naomi was refering to be Nadia?

When will Jack find out that Claire is his sister, and how will that affect their relationship? Afterall, Claire went with Locke.

Remember the episode when we saw several of the Losties as employees of the airlines? Could those be the Oceanic Six?

61. Lesley says:

If Kate is a celebrity, I am guessing that major strings were pulled by a large corporate organization with lots of money (can you say Widmore or Paik?) in order to allow her freedom. What did she trade for her freedom!!?? Not sure if her policeman husband would buy in to that whole deal, perhaps they took him out of the picture as well. She is living in LA and her husband was in Miami. I wonder if we will find that the O6 were initially promised that others on the island would be rescued and when that did not happen, perhaps they were coerced in some manner to keep silent. But what would they have on Jack and Hurley??? And how many people can fit into a helicopter besides the pilot? Three right? Only 7 hours left!

62. lostmari says:

I don’t believe Namoi was referring to any sister. I suspect the message to her “sister” was actually a coded message to whomever was on the phone.

63. lost chicka says:

DocH: good. i like that idea a lot.

i believe the others are good, but i do think they can be absolutely dreadful.
    i believe naomi’s group is bad.
    unless the different timeline thing is true, and naomi was sent by penny after charlie told penny about naomi in the looking glass.
    but again, i don’t think she’s good and i agree that she could’ve been using a code when she said “tell my sister i love her,” or maybe she just wanted symphathy so that way the losties will better accept naomi’s people the freighter tots.

64. joy says:

Why has Hurley not lost weight? It’s actually not realistic that he could be on the island for this extended time and not have changed physically. Other actors have to change their appearance to fit a role so why not? He actually looks like he is going to have a heart attack any moment. Yes, he’s a good actor but it is actually bugging me.

I keep waiting to see Walt and Michael. Any theories?

65. Toeknee says:

I don’t know if anyone is stil checking this thread, but I just noticed something while re-watching this episode. In the opening car chase scene, there’s a quick shot of a guy standing with a camcorder, recording all the action. Apparently it was Randy – Hurley’s former boss at Mr. Cluck’s, and Locke’s former boss at the box complany. His name showed up in the credits at the end.

66. Sebastian says:

Why is this episode not posted on the abc website, its the only episode from this season not on.

67. SteeezySea says:

Hi y’all, I just started getting into the whole Lost stuff, but I gotta say that the whole theme behind the show: Hedchosent, is really a cool concept. I love seeing people overcome almost unsurvivable situations and the drama that unfolds :) Anyways thought I’d say that I like your blog so far, and especially like the show so far!