Lost News Update – 02/20/2008

Lots going on in the Lost world this week heading into Episode 4 tomorrow night:

*Lost Podcast Returns – A link to the official Podcast is below, and in an effort to not push any spoilers out there I would suggest you listen and pay attention to the conversation about how a DHARMA polar bear can end up in the desert… Pretty cool stuff.

*Doc Jensen’s Interview with Damon Lindelof & Carlton Cuse – This is a great read, but is also riddled with spoiler-esque information, so be warned before you read the entirety of the article:

On Naomi’s bracelet:

DAMON LINDELOF: Naomi’s bracelet in the Sayid episode is a key point here. I got some e-mails from people who wondered if there was a connection between Naomi’s bracelet and the bracelet worn by the woman Sayid killed in his flash-forward. There is no connective tissue. Sometimes a bracelet is just a bracelet. We just thought it would be a cool emotional touchstone for Sayid; Elsa’s bracelet reminds him of Naomi. But some people interpreted that, ”Is there something more there?” We might need to address that.

On the concept of alternate realities:

CARLTON CUSE: We want people to believe in the stakes of the show. The problem with alternative realities is that you never know when the rug is going to be pulled out from under you. We want the audience to believe that the jeopardy is real. Postulating alternative realities would be an escape valve that would be damaging that as a narrative value.

Enjoy!

33 Responses to Lost News Update – 02/20/2008

1. Tomorrow night?
    It is today isnt it?

But your blog looks weird…
    “Lost News Update – 02/20/2008
    56 minutes ago by Will”
    So you wrote this yesterday and posted it today?

Anyway.. I am looking forward for tonight :)

2. NikkiV says:

I think it’s funny the writers from LOST say, “We just thought it would be a cool emotional touchstone for Sayid; Elsa’s bracelet reminds him of Naomi. But some people interpreted that, ‘Is there something more there?’ We might need to address that.” Do they not think everyone is going to take everything, even something small, and run with it?? People are so excited after watching LOST, they try to figure out every little aspect of it. Sometimes I say it’s a good thing, other times I think, just watch and enjoy. :) But for the writers to say, they should address it, only now in S4, that’s funny! :)

3. Tina says:

Vindication! I KNEW the bracelets weren’t connected. :)

4. Toeknee says:

5. Peconic Jeff says:

Hi, the link to the ABC podcast is not live

6. Toeknee says:

[quote comment="184953"]Hi, the link to the ABC podcast is not live[/quote]
    Try this:

[quote comment="184926"]That Doc Jensen article was really fascinating. Between that and the podcast, they’re giving out a fair amount of information about upcoming episodes, and about how to interpret past episodes.[/quote]
    Yeah they are! I’m waiting to see how Kate gets a “get out of jail free card” since they confirmed she’s an O6 and maybe find out who “him” is from the S3 finale.

8. Lesley says:

Nice article, its good to have a little input when so much information is flying around after each episode. Although I would not put it past them to “bend the truth” a bit knowing how the LOST audience takes it beyond the limit. So ready for tonight!

I agree Lesley. It’s nice to know that some of the stuff is somewhat “extra” to the story instead of important to be read into (ie. instead of debating whether Kate is an O6, we can watch tonight looking for clues as to why she is being focused on again.)

10. Lins says:

11. Meg says:

[quote comment="184998"]Really interesting article…good info on the flash forwards too, nice to know! I’m excited to hear about the coffin…my money is on Miles, everyone hates him. It will be interesting to see the show shift now, from survival on island to perhaps survival off island?[/quote]
    Nope. On 12-7-07 CC stated that it is someone we have seen before.

13. Toeknee says:

[quote comment="184999"]Does anyone know where I can read a transcript of the podcast. I only get internet at work, but I can’t turn up the sound at my desk. I know Lostpedia doesn’t have it yet. Anywhere else?[/quote]
    I don’t know of any site that has a transcript right now. Lostpedia has a summary. Also there’s a brief summary here:

14. Meg says:

Thanks Toeknee.

15. Toeknee says:

[quote comment="184905"]Tomorrow night?
    It is today isnt it?

But your blog looks weird…
    “Lost News Update – 02/20/2008
    56 minutes ago by Will”
    So you wrote this yesterday and posted it today?
    [/quote]
    Well, this is “The Lost Blog”, so there must have been some time travel involved. :)

[quote comment="185027"]
    An off-topic comment (so feel free to delete this) – I got a kick out of Will or Nick or whoever deleting the first comment on the Eggtown thread (which simply said “First!”). Keep that nonsense on sites like High School Musical Blog or whatever.[/quote]
    That was awesome, I noticed it too. I enthusiastically thank you as well.

17. Nick says:

Guys, Time travel is always involved. :)

While we’re off-topic, some comments will slip through the cracks, but “First!” never will.

19. Tina says:

[quote comment="185043"]Time travel=good, alternate reality=bad…so at least the article is REAL article and not an alternate. ;)[/quote]

time travel + time space continuim bending= wicked sweet!

Just a side effect from the blast? No way.

22. Tina says:

[quote comment="185048"]Back on topic. What do you guys make of them saying there is no alternate reality, but Dez’s “flash whatever” seemed very much like one? What are you thoughts about him avoiding reliving the fight in the bar, the photo scene with the ring?

Just a side effect from the blast? No way.[/quote]

Time travel friend. He goes back in time with fragments of him future (or current) memory which is how he recognizes Charlie as the musician on the street and accurately predicts the rain.

24. Meg says:

[quote comment="185053"]Yeah, but isn’t it an alternate reality if he doesn’t see himself when he goes back in time? Isn’t he creating an AR in principle?[/quote]
    Would that be an alternate past, or just a changed past.

25. Tina says:

Only if time is linear I think. If it exists in multiple dimensions outside of 3D then I don’t know that he would neccesarily run into himself. Besides, by going back into it, he fundamentally changes it, and I think we’ll see the reprecussions of that in upcoming episodes.

Meg – I guess it depends on the definition of alternate in the scientific context. To me it’s alternate, but scientifically maybe it’s just changed.

Tina – Thanks, I guess CC and DL did’t give us enough when they said there is no AR going on.

27. Laura says:

[quote comment="185046"]Physics is not a strength for me. I need more info on the time continuim bending thing.[/quote]

I don’t think it is based in science…. honestly I don’t think there is a possible way to ‘explain’ things that are based solely on known scientific principles, but if you have a specific question i can try and answer it.

I guess it goes along with Desmond’s flashes… there is no scientific explanation for them, it is just one of those things (like ghosts) that some people believe can happen, and some don’t… and when it comes to lost anything is possible!

28. Courtney says:

[quote comment="185088"][quote comment="185046"]…but if you have a specific question i can try and answer it.
    [/quote]

Laura, after listening to the podcast I went back and watched the orientation video for the Orchid station, and the scientist mentioned the Casimir Effect. I looked it up on wikipedia, but I’m not quite understanding how it relates to the island, any ideas?

29. Laura says:

The Casimir Effect is the fundamental force that causes particles to stick together, The forces are only noticeably present on an extremely small scale (think 10^-9 meters…). I saw an interesting link that described how scientists are attempting to manipulate this effect. The thought being if the force effect could be changed to repel objects rather than attract them, something as crazy as human levitation could be possible.

I’m not sure how this would be immediately relevant, other than another point of the complicated range of experiments of which Dharma was involved. There is also some research currently focused on the interaction between the Casimir effect and magnets…

30. LostDamery says:

Raw Awesome Rawsome!
    Again Lost is keeping me on the floor. My wife said she knew about the Aaron thing I was zapped tot he floor. Ack!
    The future is coming clearer, but as always the Lost writers nicely leave plenty of room for imagination. I must assume then that clair doesnt leave the island. It has to be Sun or she is willing on the island with her baby.
    ok
    2 cents:
    1) Desmond is going to be a big player for Ben on the boat. The phone contact was another round of double talk. She was warning the boat about the islanders stirring up.
    2) Something bad is going to happen this fall that is going to rip at your very soul. Or at least the writers hope. I am guessing Clair is going to get buried in the sand while waiting for charlie.
    oh yeah one last thing: Where is Walt?

31. Courtney says:

[quote comment="185112"]The Casimir Effect is the fundamental force that causes particles to stick together,

Sorry I’m not more helpful… maybe we’ll find something else out in the next twenty minutes (!!)[/quote]

Wow, I really did understand Casimir effect. You’re right though, it’s not readily apparent how it’s relevant to the Lost mythos. ;)

32. Mustachio says:

33. Courtney says:

[quote comment="185588"]If anyone is interested there is a book called ‘Parallel Worlds’ by Michio Kaku that is easy to read and can be comprehended even if you don’t have a strong physics background. He was a co-founder of String Theory(aka he’s the smartest dude ever) and he addresses a lot of the concepts that people formulate ‘Lost’ theories around.[/quote]
    Thanks for the recommendation, I just ordered it!