A Theory on Time Travel

Given the amount of discussion devoted recently to the possibility of time travel and/or distortion, a good friend emailed me a link to the following theory – some of you may have already seen this, and even though it has a few holes in it, this theory definitely has some sound thought behind it.

Further, I think Ben’s comments about Widmore “changing the rules” apply pretty well under some version of the theory outlined above. Anyway, I thought I would point this out to get your thoughts, and because though I do not whole-heartedly embrace everything behind this particular theory, I definitely believe the general idea is plausible.

Let me know what you think.

24 Responses to A Theory on Time Travel

1. Polli Kovitch says:

The LINK is utterly fascinating… A kind of Charles Dickens/HG Wells storyboard. I will have to re-read it 815 times to fully follow it. THANKS!

2. Kevin from Minneapolis says:

Not buying it. The Black Rock was hoisted onto the island by magnetic forces? Nope.

3. Rick says:

Seems overly complicated to me. I tend to be most comfortable with a simple concept which explains may things rather a complex story such as this one. The best general theory I’ve seen to date was regarding Novikov course-correction, as explained here:

4. nate says:

5. lost4ever says:

————–
    This is not the first time I have seen this theory on this blog. I am new here, I dont mean disrespect, If thet THEORY is correct , They lostme4ever.

6. lost4ever says:

Was the “Black Rock” the first Ship to lose It’s way in the Pacific? I am sure there were more. When did that crash?

7. Polli Kovitch says:

The population watching LOSTS will ONLY want something intricate and complex. There will be a massive groan of discontent if it is simplistic. Granted, the LINK that was posted is extremely complex..but the time-travel notion is not new to literature. What is being proposed here is a kind of exponential view involving: “constants”; global magnetic fields (aka Bermuda Triangle..but in the South Pacific); and e=mc2 in terms of the space-time continuum.

8. Matt says:

I think we will find out that the reason Locke can walk on the island is because Ben retrieved Locke’s dad from a point in the past before he pushed Locke out of the window… which is why Locke had to kill him (or have him killed).

9. deangoodes says:

10. RGS says:

[quote comment="216675"][quote comment="216668"]remember the majority of the public that watches the show will need some kind of explaination, so while it can be clever, i dont know to the complexity that the writers can push it where people will still grasp it.[/quote]
    ————–
    TOO much Time travel/displacement. Don’t confuse the “normal” viewer with Time Travel issues. JMHO.[/quote]
    ^^^^^^^^
    I agree that the theory, while original and creative, is way too complex to be the explanation, unless they plan to go the way of movies, because then they could have a 2-3 hour movie that is strictly the recap of the show. They would make millions! Of course I’m kidding about having the recap be a movie, but they would need a substantially long show to explain this stuff.

Among some of my issues is the seemingly importance of having the button pushed every 108 minutes, but by the same token, Ben while captured downplayed the importance of it, nor did he seem too concerned when Kelvin was leaving. Would there be a need to jam a radio signal, if the island kept resetting itself to a different point in time?

12. deangoodes says:

I remember that one as well. I am not sure, but I thought it might have had something to do with Locke’s BELIEF and FAITH, he was doubting the island and himself.

13. leah says:

That has happened, I forget the episode, but Locke lost the ability to walk for awhile, then regained it once again.[/quote][quote comment="216788"][quote comment="216782"]But in the original timeline, Ben IS paralyzed. Won’t the world course-correct him and cause him to be paralyzed again??[/quote]
    /////////////
    it was when boone climbed up in to the beech craft .
    ////////////////

14. Jacquelyn Chappel says:

There are two possiblities as to what is going on with time on the island:

1. The characters are traveling through time, not a new idea in science fiction as other bloggers have noted.

2. There is a time differential between the island and the rest of the world. What has seemed like months on the island has actually only been a week or two in the rest of the world. I have no idea what would cause this, but given that we already know there is a time difference between the island and the freighter, this theory is more in keeping with what the writers have given us so far.

The time differential was confirmed on at least two separate occasions a) when Daniel, the scientist guy, made contact with the guys on the freighter and the time on the island was found to be a day ahead of the time on the freighter and again b) when the dead body that washed ashore was found to be of someone who not yet dead on the freighter (we can infer that that person will be dying soon).

We know that the scenes with Jack and Kate raising Aaron happen during the same time that Jack was imprisoned with Ben. We know this because Jack read the paper about the Red Sox winning the world series and Ben took great care to show Jack a video showing that the Red Sox had won the world series. I guess it’s possible that Ben was just screwing with Jack and got the footage in his own time travels but that seems overly complicated.

15. Jacquelyn Chappel says:

I need to make a correction to my previous post that said Jack and Kate’s period of domestic bliss was happening at the same as they were on the island. Jack and Kate are living in domestic bliss around 2007, after they leave the island. Sorry for the mistake.

[quote comment="217516"]
    I think that when Des turned the fail safe key, it “stopped” time on the island. It is no longer keeping up with the outside world.

17. Can't Get Enough says:

A new question that was raised last night in regard to this theory is if the time machine was created in 1960 and one can only travel back to 1960, how did Richard Alpert appear when Locke was an infant if he was born in 1956?

P.S. This is a fantastic theory and I really enjoyed reading it!

18. erika says:

my thoughts about changing the rules are the relationship between God and the Devil, there has always been a biblical understanding between them. “Jacob” or Jacobs ladder was built as the link between heaven and earth, and those who were worthy or (the names picked) ascended into Heaven. Jacobs children were often called the children of God, the oldest of two are named Ben and John. So far those are the only two able to communicate with Jacob on the island. This is why Widmore is searching for the island, Lucifer looked for a way to get back into Heaven, after being kicked out. just a thought, let me know what you think! :)

19. Can't Get Enough says:

Hi Ericka, Interesting theory! I just looked up the story of Jacob’s ladder in the Bible and it doesn’t say anything about being worthy or ascending to heaven but God does promise to give Jacob and his descendants the promised land (Israel, or in this case the Island?) and also promised that all nations of the earth would be blessed through Jacob. Jacob did have a son named Benjamin but this was his youngest and was the second son of his favorite wife Rachael who died in childbirth just like Ben’s mom Emily on Lost. Jacob did not have a son named John but John the Baptist did descend from Levi, Jacob’s third son. I don’t know if that last tidbit means anything. It might just be a stretch to try and link John the Baptist with John Locke. The writers may never have intended that.

20. G-Unit says:

Lots of thought put into the theory and very interesting and it all makes perfect sense! I also had a theory ( auctually a Hypothesis ) early on in the series that the survivors were in Perdition. I gave up on that as it was auctually less than a hypothesis as is also yours. I admire the effort though.

21. Angela-la says:

Hey, Ericka! I had EXACTLY that thought as soon as Ben said “He changed the rules.” I just went “WHOA! Did someone say God and Lucifer?” Your Jacob connection (yay, finally – I know it’s a Biblical name but I didn’t know the meaning behind it) fits in well. I just got the sense that Ben was symbolic of God and Charles of Lucifer. I kinda hope that Ben IS God and Charles IS Lucifer because that would be so. much. fun. But yeah, it makes a lot of sense. With so many parallels. Like Alex’s execution by a cruel human, by virtue of his corruptable humanity, and there was something about Ben’s violent reaction that made me think of something Biblical… God wreaking vengeance… but that can’t be right, Jesus was the sacrificial lamb? Hm.

Anyway, I was glad to see it wasn’t just me thinking that!

22. SuperJoe says:

I like reading posts related to it like
    A Theory on Time Travel – The Lost Blog and what people think. I will keep an eye on the information you will add and see what you come up with. thank you

23. George Ortiz says:

Well, at least now it becomes evident why the Oceanic six need to return to the Island to save the other survivors. They represent the “constant” for the remainder of the survivors, much in the same way Penny was Desmond’s constant. They need to return so that the rest of the people in the island dont remain in continuous time shift!

24. tower 200 says:

How fast can somebody expect to lose weight?