The Whisperers Theory

Sent in by the always insightful poster Hammer, he explains his theory on the whispers and we posted his unedited thoughts below. Thanks, Hammer.

As most of you are already aware there are whispers that are often heard when apparitions appear, when manifestations of Smokey appear, when Smokey as the black cloud appears and as RGS recently pointed out here sometimes when Others appear. These whispers seem to be from characters that have died on the island (and maybe some that have died off the island). I theorize that when characters die, some or maybe even all of them become Whisperers. Many of the interpretations (done by folks with the needed equipment and accuracy has not been verified) seem to be comments that would or could be made by characters that have died.

For example Boone could have been in the following exchange Sayid and Shannon were in the jungle in “The Other 48 Days”:

**”Shannon”
“She likes the guy, she likes the guy”
“Shannon”
“Your life and time is up”
“Help me”
“Shannon, meet me on the other side”
“Her song” (‘Ana-Lucia’ when reversed)
(Gun shot)

This second example seems to show that the Whisperers are part of the security system because of the “intruder” statement and alarms going off. Also one of the Whisperers may by Yemi speaking from experience of a plane crash:

**”There may be something, but it may be slack”
“Let’s go”
“Has he seen us?”
(Alarms go off)
“I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry”
“Intruder, Intruder”
“Hide against the bushes”
“Open the door”
“I know what it’s like for a plane to crash”
“Complain, complain, complain”
“I know what you said, but…”

There are many more examples.

Because jaime recently pointed out here that the hieroglyphics may be a hint that Ben summoned Smokey and the fact that the whispers and Smokey often appear separately, I now believe that the Whisperers and Smokey are related in that they are both part of the island’s security system but are separate entities.

Danielle Rousseau at one time referred to the “Monster” as the security system. I feel that Ben sort of proved it by inviting Smokey into camp to stop the attack from the freight folks.

Admittedly, the validity of this theory relies heavily on the accuracy of the interpretations of both the whispers the hieroglyphics transcripts.

Please help improve or debunk.

**Quote taken from lostpedia.com.

137 Responses to The Whisperers Theory

I asked to have this since several folks have asked about it. Now I have a place to direct them and a place debate it.

Thanks again for allowing this.

My latest struggle with this is trying to tie Charlie and Christian to the theory as they have made themselves appear and we know from the transcripts that the whisperers have the desire to expose themselves (not like that Beavis and Butthead).

2. Shirlz says:

Hurley figured it out. What I believe the characters in this episode are experiencing is not time travel, but some kind of “unreality.” I don’t know whether it’s a drugged state or dream state.

The fact is, that NOBODY that left the island without everybody leaving together, should be happy about it. How could Jack feel happy afterwards, then insane after that?

The writers are messing with us in a really neat, complex way.

It wasn’t as intense as all the others, but maybe it’s nice to have a slow one every now and then. But not too often.

3. tasha says:

Maybe cause its Friday night and I have had a couple of beers….I don’t have much input. I have always thought the whispers were from another dimension.

4. Omar Kamel says:

When I first looked online and saw transcripts of the whispers, I got the impression that they were…hmm..it sounded to me like one of two things:

1. Voices of characters who were watching, who wanted to help, but somehow were dimensionally estranged and couldn’t interact. This would include dimensional shifting OR death. We have yet to confirm that all the voices belong to people who die during the timeline of the story – I guess we’ll find out more about that as time goes on.

2. Voices that were ‘bouncing around’ in TIME. Things that have been spoken by various people and the ‘echo’ of these things, bouncing around time and space…

I still don’t know which way it’ll go exactly, but we’ll see :)

[quote comment=”217599″]Yeah, I remember you bringing this up before in several posts, and I’ve always considered it a possibility.

I still don’t know which way it’ll go exactly, but we’ll see :)

Not to be irrelevant – but I haven’t commented in a while, and wanted to say one thing: I think Adam & Eve are Desmond & Penny. I got that feeling very strongly (not sure why) when watching The Shape of Things To Come. But I guess that belongs on another page :)[/quote]

I guess if I keep hitting submit without entering a post, I can crank up the number of posts. :)

I wanted to say that your first thought is interesting. Seems plausible that not all the Whisperers are from dead folks if dead folks are in another dimention.

7. Omar Kamel says:

[quote comment=”217672″]I don’t think the voices are just bouncing in time though, they seem to apply to the events happening at the time they are muttered.[/quote]

Hmm – yeah? I’m not that sure – but I haven’t done anything resembling extensive research.

Got any specific examples that fulfill that criterion? I’m curious.

This one seems most specific:

In “The Other 48 Days” when Shannon and Sayid are in the jungle just before Ana shoots Shannon. I believe one of the Whisperers is Boone(it will be obvious which one I think is Boone):

Relax dude, I think she likes the guy”
    “You’re life”
    “Ich weiß nicht” (German for ‘I don’t know’)
    “Look out”
    “Ana’s the trigger”
    “You’re gonna kill her”
    “Move on”
    (Gun shot)
    “See ya”
    (Like a chorus singing just after the gunshot)

“ “Shannon”
    “She likes the guy, she likes the guy”
    “Shannon”
    “Your life and time is up”
    “Help me”
    “Shannon, meet me on the other side”
    “Her song” (‘Ana-Lucia’ when reversed)
    (Gun shot)

“ “Relax dude, she likes the guy, she likes the guy”
    “Shannon”
    “I know it all I know it all…”
    “Dying sucks”
    “Shannon”
    “I don’t think you should tell her when she comes”
    “Obviously she likes you”
    “Who’s the guy?”
    “I want to see Shannon”
    “Eye to eye”
    “Who’s the guy?”
    “Fire Lucia”
    “The brothers that help us”
    “Are you done with it?”
    “Her song” (‘Ana-Lucia’ when reversed)
    (Gun shot)
    “Fire”

9. Laura says:

How about in the man behind the curtain (when Ben is standing at the fence):

Man: “Look at me”
    Ben’s mother: “Look at me. It’s all right, it’s okay, (-It’s okay, **echo) I’m here. Look at me.”
    Man: “Ben, You’re my prisoner and- (inaudible, but most likely: “and we are ready” or “and you are mine”. Perhaps both in overlay.)
    Man: [demonic laugh.]
    Ben: “I’m scared mom.”
    Mom: “It’s all right, (-don’t worry **Over lay**) patience Ben.”

Man: “Look at me”
    Man: [demonic laugh.]
    Ben: “I’m scared mom.”
    Mom: “It’s all right, (-don’t worry **Over lay**) patience Ben.”

11. Laura says:

If you watch the clip Ben is not talking when “I’m scared mom” is being said.

[quote comment=”218036″]If you watch the clip Ben is not talking when “I’m scared mom” is being said.

You are correct, I remember now that when I first tried to figure this one out. I thought that Ben was actually communicating with his mom telepathically instead of verbally?

14. Laura says:

Yea, that is kind of what I was thinking. It does seem unusual though, because (I believe) it is the only whisper where we have any sort of interaction. There seem to be very few situations where the character can even understand what is being said in the whispers, and therefore the interaction is more significant.

It sort of reminds me of Locke’s encounter with Jacob (“Help me…” – – idk if this counts as a whisper, but i’ll pretend) because this is another one of the few situations where a character actually understands what is being ‘whispered’. It makes me think maybe this is a result of Locke and Ben being “special”.

15. Omar Kamel says:

[quote comment=”218038″]Forgot to say that you are correct that this is another example of how the whispers are not just bouncing around. They are very specific the event happening.[/quote]

Well, yes and no.

I mean – if Ben was hearing himself – then the time-bouncing whispers make more sense than the dead-people whispers. Cause how can Ben (who as far as we can so far tell – is alive throughout the whispers be hearing himself?

Also – if he’s hearing a YOUNGER Ben – then that’s even more reason to believe it’s not whipers from dead people – but maybe voices bouncing around in time?

16. Omar Kamel says:

17. Omar Kamel says:

‘Sorry the the syntax’?!

Jeeez…

[quote comment=”218047″][quote comment=”218046″]Cause how can Ben (who as far as we can so far tell – is alive throughout the whispers be hearing himself?[/quote]

Sorry the the horrible syntax. I meant to say how could Ben (who as far as we know is alive throughout the story as we’ve seen it so far) be ‘whispering’?[/quote]
    Yes, agreed, I don’t think Ben is hearing himself whisper (I think either the interpretor assumed it was Ben or Ben was telepathically communicating). And I still don’t think the whispers are bouncing.

19. Laura says:

It seems to me that there are two types of whispers. There are the whispers that are seemingly commenting on the happenings of the island, like Hammer’s examples, and then there are the whispers that are revealing our characters’ biggest fears. Clearly Ben, as any young child, was missing his mother and scared of the big scary laugh. Similarly, we have Sawyer hearing Frank Duckett saying “It will all come around.”

[quote comment=”218050″]I don’t think it makes sense for the whispers to be “bouncing” because, as Hammer as pointed out, there are far too many distinctly relevant conversations. It just wouldn’t be statistically possible for all of these whispers to have randomly “bounced” to the correct point in time to actually make sense.

These whispers could be either a result of the island’s ability to reveal these fears, or simply we are getting a mix of what is really “happening” on the island and what our character is interpreting to be happening (just like we don’t know if Charlie is really there… or Hurley is imagining him).[/quote]
    There may even be more than two types. Jacob has direct conversations with Ben and tried to with Locke. Maybe “special” characters are spoken to directly by Whisperers as opposed to “over hearing” the Whisperers talking to each other.

21. Missy says:

These things I believe to be true about the whispers-
    They seem to be whispering about what is happening at that moment.
    They seem to be from other 815ers that are dead and other dead people.
    I believe that they could show themselves if they wanted to.
    Sometimes they preceed smokey, sometimes not.

I love reading all the transcrips on lostpedia but it totally freaks me out!

22. jaime says:

23. Kim says:

[quote comment=”218647″]Whoo-Hoo they gave you a thread!!!! Now all can read the infamous Whispers Theory.
    Thanks for the shout out :) I still think that USA Today and the writers/producers declined your theory for print because you hit to close to home.[/quote]
    No problem, I like to give credit where deserved.

re: USA Today, I like to believe that too. :)

[quote comment=”218650″]I’ve always wondered about the wispers but never realized there were transcripts. Thanks for posting this. I will definitely be listening more intently next time.[/quote]
    Yeah, I think they are an important part of the show that they haven’t revealed yet. But adding the possible “frozen donkey wheel” theory to this, I think the whispers will get explained or at least more attention this season.

I think DocH was right when he said that the Whisperers will be gone because of the timeline collision. I still believe my theory of who they are and why. It seems to me that the dead folks are in full “show themselves mode”. Especially to the “special” folks.

sector7 wrote:

Hammer wrote:

tasha wrote:

The whole aging thing with Albert may not be time travel. Maybe he is just dead. Once someone dies they don’t age anymore. Who knows with time travel” and “undead” people things can go anywhere.

+++++++++++++
    Agreed. If dead folks can show themselves as apparitions and as show in the whisper trancripts…some of them wanted to show themselves to the Losties, than your point makes sense.

_______________
    I disagree. Mittleos = lost time is why. I think that’s a clue that it has everything to do with “time” as to the reason Richard doesn’t age.

Couldn’t the whispers be coming from people who are residing in the future or the past or trapped in a moment in time?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Of course your theory is possible and it’s likely a mixture of both. The future/past trapped folks can be dead too. Right? There is some pretty good evidence that the whispers were done by folks that have died.

Any thoughts on my suggestion that the “dead” folks/Whisperers are starting to feel comfortable showing themselves to Locke? They whispered in the past their desire to expose themselves to the Losties and it seems to me that they think Locke is “ready” to accept it.

29. Ashlee says:

Random, but whisperer-ish….
    Right after Libby is killed by Micheal, we see Hurley and others walking through the jungle. A “bird” (I thought it looked dinosaur-ish) clearly says “Hurley” and he hears it! and Sawyer makes fun of him. But, i’m 100% certain that bird is Libby.

They never really did explain that bird. We can put it in the group!

31. Benny says:

That said, is the same true for all the others?

[quote comment=”222690″]I’m assuming the whisperers also covers the apparitions such as Mr Eko’s brother, the one Mr Eko declares as an imitation of his brother.
    That said, is the same true for all the others?

I liked Mr Eko’s character, I was completely thrown when he was taken, and Libby of course, Id love to know her back story![/quote]
    Yeah Benny, Yemi was a manifestation from Smokey. As the theory goes, Smokey is somehow related to the whisperers. So I am comfortable with that.

I’m not ready to say that all the others are manifestations or apparitions, but I do feel some of that might be going on as they haven’t explained Harper’s magic act yet.

33. spiralturtle says:

Okay, I have a theory about the whispers, and I may as well post it here.

I think the island is an anomoly on the planet where time doesn’t behave the same way as it does elsewhere. It may even be a sort of time travel portal, and it exists in dimensions outside the “real” world. Hence, you must approach the island via specific coordinates or risk the consequences. The sickness of some freighter tots, as well as the people Danielle came to the island with, may have suffered from sickness caused by coming to the island on the wrong coordinates.

Perhaps, several timelines exist at once on the island, in different dimensions. So the whisperers, dead or alive, possibly exist in some dimensions and not others. They may be dead in some timelines and alive in others, hence Charlie and Christian being able to appear–and maybe this applies to Jacob as well.

This may explain Ben at the fence (comment 9) and ben’s voice in the whispers at the same time — he exists in several different timelines. It may also explain some of the whispers describing what’s going to happen soon (Ana’s going to shoot) because they are aware of the future as well.

I also suspect that the Swan station, where Desmond pushed the button to reset the magnet every 108 minutes, resets time. What if Ben’s people have figured out a way to suspend time (and therefore live forever)? Then, pushing the button resets the island back in time every 108 minutes, or the island, by staying static, builds up an excess energy that is released by pushing the button. When Des let the charge build up too much the first time, the plane crashed.

This may explain why people don’t get sick on the island, because the clock resets every 108 minutes, sending you back to when you were healthy. Also, the different timelines on one island may help explain why fetuses cannot develop properly on the island.

I also think that the island can manipulate elements to ‘correct’ timelines. One of the themes of “Lost” is fate/desiny vs. choice. You can make choices, but destiny will eventually catch up. Hence Charlie eventually dying. Maybe he was meant to die in the crash, but his choice to walk back to the bathroom to get high changed his location in the plane and he survived. So, the island engineered several attempts to kill him (thus correcting the timeline/destiny), succeeding when Des and Charlie accepted his fate.

I think Smokey is one of the things the island used to correct these timelines. Remember the first episode? Smokey killed the pilot, perhaps because he was meant to die in the crash. Maybe that’s why Eko died as well.

Also, maybe Ben was not supposed to get a tumor on his spine, so destiny caused one of the world’s best spinal surgeons to be on the plane that crashed on the island. And maybe Rose was not meant to have cancer, so in the island’s timeline she was cured.

That’s why some people don’t die at certain times, like Michael not dying despite his desire to kill himself, and Locke surviving an 8-story fall and a bullet in the gut — They weren’t meant to die at those times. I should note here that Smokey did not kill Locke or Kate.

This may also explain Ben’s attitude and fearlessness at times – he knows his destiny, perhaps even knows how and when he is supposed to die, so why be afraid of walking into the enemy camp, since he know it’s not his time to die yet? Might also explain how he behaved when Keamy had Alex at gunpoint. Ben knew his daughter was not meant to die at that time. When she did, he was shocked, and enraged at Widmore for “breaking the rules” — the rules of time.

The more things I think about this series, the more I see how this theory fits the pieces — but this post is getting too long so I shouldn’t go on further.

The only thing that doesn’t make sense is Danielle Rousseau. How did she not get the time sickness her group got? If Alex was conceived on the island (which I think is likely, as I don’t see a pregnant woman being allowed on a long voyage of exploration), how did she and Alex survive? Danielle also created a mayday distress call. Shannon and Sayid used that message, with its iterations, to estimate that the message had been playing for sixteen years. How is this possible, if (as I believe) the island was re-setting back in time every 108 minutes? Until the hatch imploded, that is.

Too much for my brain, must go take a nap….

[quote comment=”223293″]Okay, I have a theory about the whispers, and I may as well post it here.

Too much for my brain, must go take a nap….[/quote]

I agree with much of your theory.

Whisperers: several dims. makes more sense than they voices being echoed in time lines

35. It’s very possible that “Danielle” WASN’T pregnant when she set out on the expedition. Her lover was with her on the ship, accidents happen – even happy ones.

Tahiti may very well have been their last port of call on their journey home, after being on the expedition for a year or two.

36. Miss Kim says:

I like your whisperers theory Hammer, and I appreciate the thoughtful post from spiralturtle. IMO you’re definately onto something. If time is looping, (perhaps the result of the button being pushed every 108 minutes), then I question what the purpose of this would be. Simply not aging doesn’t seem feasible. As I explore “the big picture” I come up with this possible explanation. The Island, with its special properties, is an attempt to modify the Valenzetti Equation. If the island can keep a constant time loop, yet allow some of its inhabitants to move freely through time, the possibility exists that somehow paradoxes can be avoided and destiny can be altered. The whispers may be a result of certain people attempting to re-visit specific times/events/places which, because they would involve some type of paradox, can not actually participate in. IMO, all of LOST may be very “Dark Towerish”, though I see a somewhat different ending. I am not clearly seeing who is “good” and who is “bad”….in other words, which groups/individuals are attempting to modify the equation and which groups/individuals are thwarting these attempts. IMO, Jacob is important…very important. Possibly the reason that he is unable to be seen and must rely on others to speak for him is because he is losing power due to alterations of destiny in the continual time loop that exists on the island. When Desmond failed to push the button, the time loop lost its constancy and time has started its progression again. As a result, this is everybody’s proverbial last chance to “make things right”. Just a theory……

Thanks Miss Kim.

Here’s my newest thought. Alpert is a whisperer as are most if not all of the group at the temple. Explains why he doesn’t age and Ben’s comment to Alpert about remembering birthdays?

New whisperer incidents:

Claire to Kate.

CS to Michael.

Others to mercs.

It seems that Alpert’s group may not be “natives” of the island as much as permanent inhabitants, like “dead but here”.

[quote comment=”227791″]New whisperer incidents:

Claire to Kate.

CS to Michael.

Others to mercs.[/quote]
    +++++++
    Also, Eko playing chess with Hugo?

Post 546!!

Just an observation:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think D&C have ever addressed the whispers in any podcast or interview. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Also, even though I it’s more likely that there were just too many theories to address, but they had the USA Today/D&C collaboration to print some fan theories, this one got ignored. I choose to believe that they ignored it because it was just too damned accurate. :)

But seriously, I believe that they are not addressing the whispers because it is an important part of plot that would give away too much info about the island if they told us where the whispers come from.

Anyone have thoughts on the whispering going on in the Orchid video? They sound much clearer than the most whispers. My first thought was it was just the Orchid video “production crew” talking between takes, but I wonder……..

45. warplayer says:

Remember Horace Goodspeed? He was dead, and showing up in a dream to Locke to tell him where to go in current time. I got a heavy “whispers” vibe from this dream scene. It is very possible that Horace was dead AND using time travel to deliver this message from the past (from a point before he died).

This would sort of explain the whispers, that they are both dead people, AND people using time travel to deliver a message.

Just a thought.

[quote comment=”255134″]I think it is very possible that the whispers are a combination of the two theories being presented here. Everyone talks about them either being dead people, or a result of time travel.

Just a thought.[/quote]

Thanks DocH.

warplane, I like the idea. I like to keep my theory fluid but the concept concrete…so I like it.

47. DocH says:

Here is one of the neat things about Fringe.
    They just uncovered and compared a voice on FRINGE. First episode, toward the end, Steig reveals a buried tape, they play it… but in the very beginning of the tape, if you play it backwards… there is a very clandestine conversation about a separate (and important) topic. All Fringe-ians are claiming Lost origins and JJ Abrams roots.

Okay folks, we are closing in on S5 and I can’t find a WHISPER TRANSCRIPT for the S4 finale anywhere.

Resources anyone?

I can’t help but get excited by the fact the whispers are STILL being totally ignored by D&C. They never address questions about them and I find it incredibly hard to believe that they don’t get asked about them.

The whisperers are TOO IMPORTANT to the plot!!!

After watching the enhanced S4 finale, I really think that the whisperers are “trapped” by the island’s time traveling abilities. I think that Jacob is the leader of the whisperers and that they help the Others in defending the island. Jacob and the whisperers are possibly looking for someone (maybe Locke) that has the ability to “set them free”.

From the darkufo site some of the whisperers were talking to Ben and helping him to seem omnicient…like he’s done before…’I always have a plan’…

52. Rita says:

[quote comment=”313033″]Hammer I am starting to think that the whisperers are the ultimate result of being “unstuck” in time, where the Theresa Spencers eventually end up. So the dead on LOST island are permanently “unstuck” and go on time traveling and interacting with the event around them, but only as unseen whisperers. Not saying it well, but maybe you get the gist.[/quote]
    ++++++++++++
    I get it. The unseen part seem to be a choice though. There are whisperers that seem to want to ‘expose’ themselves and other ones that think that is not a good idea.

54. davis says:

Also when sayid an shannon are in the jungle, right before she gets shot, if yo listen really clostly you can hear “dieing sucks”

55. DocH says:

The whispers will figure prominently in the time flashes back to Dharma-ville.

[quote comment=”318195″]The whispers will figure prominently in the time flashes back to Dharma-ville.[/quote]

+++++++++++
    Gosh, I hope so. I am so anxious to get answers about them. I just know that they are being ignored because they are too important to the story to reveal them yet.

57. Ed1213 says:

The Whispers are all the people on the island passing threw time, observing themselve or others that they know and Whispering. Not wanting to be seen or heard.

58. wallyp says:

We are definately getting closer to the whisperers now…

couple thoughts… just read this thread for the first time… I Gotta join in.

First thought: Daniel has been told by Charlotte that he told her never to come back to the island. Now Daniel refuses to ever do such a thing. If time is really inter-dimensionial on the island (which I think it is) Daniel doesn’t need to tell her this directly, Either Daniels voice, or even maybe Charlottes voice, whispering to “never come back, this place is death” will occur… The reason I can see it being maybe Charlottes whisper to her self has to do with the fact that she mentioned it, at the point where she had the memory of it (these two times are aligned, so the conversation she has with Daniel will NOW be heard by her -or seen- at the specific time of the memory)
    This is how whisperers know when they are alligned with another time… flash memories.

It seems that our main characters are slowly starting to be introduced to the ability to communicate inter-dimensionally on the island. I think we will see Jack and Locke communicate while in different places in time (maybe through the cabin, maybe some other way)… I don’t know if they have to be dead for this or not.

I see all roads leading to something like these… the whispers are getting louder…

I also like the comment about the Dharma videos picking up stronger whispers. Like white noise. Is this why the Dharma tapes are always so heavily edited? We dont need our people to be hearing those creepy “Your Gonna DIE!” messages, over Namaste, right? That would be awkward.

Thanks for chiming in wallyp. I think you have a great point. The only thing is that there are whispers that support your ideas as well as whispers that apply to time frame in which they are muttered….I should say…could be interpreted that way. :)

At this point, I think there are more than one type of whisper.

Hey Frank, if you read this far, check out the whisper transcript section of lostpedia (assuming you haven’t done so already).

Someone is coming.
    It’s Sun, tell her what to do.
    Etc, etc, etc….

Someone is coming.
    It’s Sun, tell her what to do.
    Etc, etc, etc….[/quote]
    ++++++++++++++

63. Circus Mom says:

[quote comment=”323933″][quote comment=”322985″]My guess is that when someone interprets the whispers from Namaste, they will be something like:

Someone is coming.
    It’s Sun, tell her what to do.
    Etc, etc, etc….[/quote]
    ++++++++++++++
    I also think that the person that some people have ‘seen’ behind Sun the rec. room during the chat with Christian is a whisperer and the one who whispered as they arrived.[/quote]
    +++++++
    It’s a possibility

FWIW, a guy on darkufo had this comment on that site’s whisper page. Couldn’t listen to the link because, but ponderous.
    +++++
    mert said…
    ok guys.. i edited the clip with sound software and found the truth,
    its says:
    “town is dead..its allright sun”
    and its probably jack’s voice.

for edited clip: http://rapidshare.com/files/213174280/cliip2.mp3.html
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 12:55:00 AM

65. DocH says:

Now that is cryptic – if it is Jack. Now I am starting to wonder if Sun and Frank are dead. They did encounter Smokey on the way to see Christian.
    That is still my favorite scene from Namaste were they are on the dock, equipment strewn around, and the trees rattle as they approach. The island turned into a real Haunted House… the kind you went to as a kid that scared the cr@p out of you. Particularly “the Whispers”!

66. LINS says:

That was my first thought when Christian showed up, that Sun and Frank were dead…but it doesn’t really add up unless they died rowing over to the island, since Frank made that little speech to all the 316 survivors…but then again, Claire was with Sawyer and Miles before she *found* Christian. Maybe all the 316ers are dead…nah, just kidding! :)

67. DocH says:

68. PJSander says:

[quote comment=”324256″]
    Well that’s the thing. Hammer’s theory (a good one) starts with the Whisperers being ‘dead’, in order to whisper. If Jack is doing the whisper thing, then he is dead. If Jack is dead, then Ajira was a fatal flight. If Ajira was fatal, then Sun and Frank – kapuht. The thing about Smokey (Cerberus) meeting them at the dock… Cerberus guards the gate to the after-life. Since Cerberus (Smokey) checked on Frank & Sun at the dock, saw who it was, then let them proceed undisturbed – one might say Smokey allowed them to continue into the afterlife (to see Christian, hear Jack).[/quote]

Ooh. That’s deep. I like it.

69. PJSander says:

Maybe if we are vewwy vewwy Kw-eye-it about it, we can discuss it here?

(shhh)

70. LINS says:

Maybe if we are vewwy vewwy Kw-eye-it about it, we can discuss it here?

(shhh)

: ) P[/quote]

i’m in, i’m dying to talk to someone else about it!!

71. Rita says:

[quote comment=”324288″][quote comment=”324284″]I notice that most of the people who have posted here in the last couple of days are the same people that received DWY letters. I want SO MUCH to talk about the email, but DON’T want to cross the *line* where I will get booted from the new recruit group. But I have to talk to SOMEONE and not many of my IRL friends participated in the ARG and NONE of them got the email.

Maybe if we are vewwy vewwy Kw-eye-it about it, we can discuss it here?

(shhh)

: ) P[/quote]

i’m in, i’m dying to talk to someone else about it!![/quote]
    ______________________________________
    Me too, I mean, I’m not sure if we are suppose to, but it’s just SOOOO GOOD!!

72. PJSander says:

Thank you! I figure this Whisper thread is pretty quiet but still accessible. Hopefully anyone in charge won’t “happen” across this thread, because it sure sounds like they’re keeping tabs on us.

Did you get the email about the video yet? It sounds like there is going to be some special footage or something available at 1am Eastern tomorrow morning. Is that how you read it? Maybe they want to make sure that no one sees it before LOST airs on the west coast?

I went to the site they gave us, but only got a message to be patient. I am afraid if I try to log in again, I will be booted for not being patient enough. ACK!

LOL

73. anon says:

I’m with Anon, let’s wait till tomorrow….maintaining radio silence…

75. LINS says:

[quote comment=”324333″]I’m with Anon, let’s wait till tomorrow….maintaining radio silence…[/quote]

party poopers :)

76. lost4ever says:

[quote comment=”324256″][quote comment=”324250″]That was my first thought when Christian showed up, that Sun and Frank were dead…[/quote]
    ++++++++
    If they are dead, Frank, Sun, and 316, then why build a runway for a “safer” crashing?

77. Anon2 says:

78. Anon2 says:

[quote comment=”324292″]if????! you really received the ORIGINAL email, you would know to ZIP it. don’t ruin it for those of us that did![/quote]

I don’t KNOW if I received the *original* email and if no one will talk about it, how will I ever find out? I know nobody on LOST ever talks about stuff, but I need to know.

Besides how is someone ELSE talking about it going to RUIN it for you? No one knows who you are!

: ) P

[quote comment=”324549″]Holy sh*t! Did you SEE that *thing* on the site?!?! I can’t wrap my brain around it. But I want to know if everyone saw the same thing? Hammer, this is your thread, but is it okay to talk about this here?

: ) P[/quote]
    ++++++++++++
    Fine with me!

80. Anon2 says:

Please!?
    :) P

81. DocH says:

[quote comment]
    [/quote]
    Who did the island need the most? (Locke).

Maybe the safer crash site was to make sure the Hydra Island landing didn’t shred Locke’s fajita… if you know what I mean.
    – – – –
    looks like Anon2 is stealing PJ’s signature too.

[quote comment=”324585″]Glad to hear you don’t mind… now if I remember correctly, you DID get a DWY email, Hammer. Did you see the *you know what* at the site yet? If not, go see it and come back because I have to know if you saw what I saw!

Please!?
    :) P[/quote]
    ++++++++++++
    Yep, saw it…maitaining radio silence…

83. Anon2 says:

Anon2

84. Rita says:

[quote comment=”324614″]Well even if Hammer is going to maintain radio silence, I hope someone else will discuss, even peripherally, what you saw. I mean this is a BIG DEAL!

Anon2[/quote]
    _____________________________________

85. Anon2 says:

[quote comment=”324694″]
    It really is a BIG DEAL – I can’t believe what’s there! It kinda changes everything don’t you think?[/quote]

I can TOTALLY understand why they want to keep it a secret. But now that we’ve seen this… is there anything else? I mean, are we going to get stuff like that all the TIME?!

86. PJSander says:

Okay, skip it… typing my happy face P at the end of my posts is too much of a habit. I am coming out of anonymity and risking whatever. I don’t think anyone from LOST is going to FIND us here anyway. And after what we just saw, I doubt it will matter if they do!

87. Rita says:

I’ll talk if you will PJ! (feels kinda risky though) When do you think they will make it all general knowledge?

88. PJSander says:

As for when they will make it general knowledge, I GUESS it would be the end of May. I don’t think they’d want the “world at large” to see what we SAW! Talk about changing the game! Of course, what we’ve been shown might just be to throw us all off because they EXPECT that we’ll tell everyone what we know.

If it were any other show, I would never second guess anything – but with LOST?

I think we can probably adequately talk about the video clip and photos without naming SPECIFICS. I just want to see if everyone else who got an email saw exactly the same things that I saw, or if there were different versions.

Did you figure out the code to get into the first “page” yet? I got all of them pretty quickly, but the first one took me ALL day! I think I was supposed to go in order, but I went straight for the video! LOL.

89. Rita says:

[quote comment=”324707″]The way I see it, Rita, they only way the “DWY” people can tell we’ve been talking is if they confirm with the blog owners what our email addresses are. I just don’t think they are going to go to THAT much trouble. I hope.

If it were any other show, I would never second guess anything – but with LOST?

: ) P[/quote]
    ___________________________________
    Well I confess that I didn’t have a lot of time to spend on it all at once, so it took me quite awhile to get through the pages, but it was SOOO WORTH IT!! I just wouldn’t have seen THIS coming, even with my very best theorizing. The first one was best though, IMO!

Okay, you convinced my to break radio silence.

I practically peed my pants! How cool.

91. PJSander says:

[quote comment=”324729″]Okay, you convinced my to break radio silence.

I practically peed my pants! How cool.[/quote]

Peed your pants?! Okay, I am not sure that is a visual I wanted, Hammer. LOL

The only thing that I would have changed about the stuff we’ve seen so far is “Hans” – I didn’t like him in the DWY stuff this summer.

Did you guys see six photos, two “letters” and one video? I read somewhere else that they got EIGHT photos. Maybe I missed some hidden clues somewhere or something.

92. Nathan says:

I was wearing depends…I’m 40 now. LOL.

Maybe I missed something, but I saw four photos…going back to see if I screwed up.

Nice…my brother hi-jacked my computer and I didn’t realize his name was still on the there.

He didn’t even play DWY!

Nope, still only four photos…wonder if I did something wrong…gonna try to redo the codes.

95. Rita says:

[quote comment=”324734″][quote comment=”324729″][/quote]

: ) P[/quote]
    ________________________________________

96. PJSander says:

[quote comment=”324827″]
    I got six photos, one letter, and the video. How did you get to the second letter? This is just so incredible that I don’t see how people are going to be able to keep quiet about this for long. Maybe they don’t really expect us to?[/quote]

I thought that too. Or maybe it is some odd “DHARMA” experiment to track how something goes ‘viral’ in the virtual world! LOL.

The ‘portal’ to the second letter was hidden in one of the photos – not sure which one. I will go back and look. Maybe that is why some people have seen more photos – because they found portals I didn’t.

Do you think the *face* we saw belongs to the 4TS? If so, it changes EVERYTHING! I mean, wow. Part of me thinks that we’re just SUPPOSED to believe that – to throw us “off the scent” so to speak.

97. Rita says:

[quote comment=”324871″][quote comment=”324827″]

: ) P[/quote]
    ____________________________________
    Well it’s certainly true that D&C mis-direct us pretty often! The face LOOKS like it could be the front of the statue but I’m not sure – it’s a little grainy and you can’t see the edges. If it IS though then WOW!!!! Didn’t see that coming, but not sure if it’s too early to start screaming and jumping up and down. I might even need some depends too Hammer!
    Guess I had better look for more portals – I don’t want to miss anything!!

Portals! I’m a Bozo, didn’t even try. Okay, I found a total of eight photos and two letters. I hope it is the 4TS, myself…game changer, no?

99. PJSander says:

Hammer, does that mean you DIDN’T see the VIDEO! Because you REALLY need to see that.

I am still not sure if these *are* game-changers. I mean don’t they completely turn EVERYTHING on its end?

If it is “true” in the sense of the story, it certainly clears up a lot about why Chang had so many pseudonyms.

101. PJSander says:

[quote comment=”324989″]Haven’t figure out the video yet. I suck at these games. I always followed bloggers who did them games then caught up on them on lostpedia. DWY is the first one I did on my own…so I’m trying hard to figure out how to beat the puzzles.[/quote]

I didn’t have a puzzle to get into the video. Hmmm. Did you find all the portals?

: ) P

D’oh, see what I mean? Going back….

103. Circus Mom says:

I got the first two photo’s but have a huge work weekend. Don’t know when I’ll get to explore. This might be how I spend my Sunday evening to wind down from all the work. After my sons b-day dinner of course. He’ll call me obsessed when he sees what I’m doing.

104. MissKim says:

105. MissKim says:

Whoops. Hope I didn’t give too much away for anybody. I figured you must have all seen each individual “clue in a clue” in each of the pix. Sorry if I’m being too specific.

106. MissKim says:

PJ–I completely agree about the Chang thing….

107. PJSander says:

[quote comment=”325022″]Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God. At first I thought it was just me because nobody was talking about it…..and I finally figured out where you guys “went to”. Is this for real? I did actually manage to figure out the portals–I’ve seen eight pix and I have seen the video. Why now though? I thought the ARG was over…..is there some kind of symbolism in that bagua thing? ( I think if you piece it together it definatley is a bagua) That must be why there where 8 pics. If it means what I think it means……..unfreakinbelievable.[/quote]

I found the last two photos! Oh My DAWG! I totally didn’t get what you meant with the bagua but now that I have the last two “pieces” it all is falling into place.

Did you notice the flashing icon thing in the lower right corner CHANGED? Mine is a different hieroglyph now. I didn’t even think to look up what the last one meant. Have any of yours changed? I wonder if it changed because I found the last two photo portals or because of the time or what? Now I am curious if it means something!

I am going to try to find a site with the symbol it was and the symbol it is now so you can compare your to mine.

Ack!

108. Rita says:

109. PJSander says:

Well I don’t know which two photos you are missing, so I am not sure how I can help you! LOL.

I don’t remember every step I took to find each portal either, so let’s try to break it down. When you FIRST opened the page after the “be patient” screen came down, what did you see? I had one letter and two photos.

: ) P

Anywhoo… found the video…wow.

111. Rita says:

[quote comment=”325125″][quote comment=”325120″]Help! I still can’t find the last 2 pictures! I have spent too much time on it already – but I HAVE to see them![/quote]

: ) P[/quote]
    _____________________________________

112. PJSander says:

You said he hijacked your computer, Hammer. Is he staying with you? Did he play DWY? Did he get the “special” email?

I am so confused about why/how some people got this and not others. When the email said I was “one of one hundred” I just figured it was meant to flatter ALL the former DWY players, but now I am thinking that since there isn’t a lot of “buzz” on the ‘net, it really MIGHT be a small group of people!

113. PJSander says:

[quote comment=”325128″]
    I got the same, one pic of the “bird” hieroglyph (don’t know what you call it!), the one with the rock, and one letter.[/quote]

Okay, *in* the letter there is a portal in the logo which leads you to another photo. Did you get that one?

And there was a portal in each of the photos – did you get those?

114. Miss Kim says:

I don’t know how the selection was made either, in regard to how people were picked to receive these e-mails. Do you think being granted special access has anything to do with “swan color”? I am a “white swan”……

[quote comment=”325132″][quote comment=”325126″]Seems my brother Nathan has been posting on the HOY thread. Let’s see if he gets as much crap as I got.[/quote]

: ) P[/quote]
    ++++++++++++++++
    He’s like my wife….a mildly interested fan. He didn’t play DWY. He was over the house and watching over my shoulder while I was catching up. I walked away to chit chat with the family and he sat down and threw out a post on HOY thread…I came back and didn’t notice he changed my name. LOL.

Long story short…he’s no help on figuring out who got the updates.

116. Rita says:

OK I got ‘em – all 8 pics, thanks PJ! All I had to do was look harder for the portals. Wow, I can’t believe I almost missed THAT!!!

117. PJSander says:

There is a lot of hullaballoo on the main thread about where we are. With all this DWY stuff to discuss, I can’t even THINK about the episode!

My flashing heiroglyphics thing changed again! Do any of you know where to find a list of heiroglyphs to compare them to?

118. Miss Kim says:

119. Rita says:

[quote comment=”325327″]In the “Welcome and Namaste” e-mail there is a white blinking light in the middle of the Dharma logo. The blinking is morse code which spells out a web address……it will lead you to a master list of the heiroglyphs and their meanings.[/quote]
    __________________________________
    MORSE CODE!!!! Are you kidding me! After all the time it took me just to get all the pictures, now I have to go research Morse Code!!! Criminy! Oh well, gotta do it!

120. PJSander says:

How the HECK did you figure that out?! Oh my word.

: ) P (who is off to find that book of morse code!)

121. Miss Kim says:

122. PJSander says:

[quote comment=”325358″]I got a little help from a naughty black swan!!! Apparently the morse code thing was similar to one of the cheats in the first part of DWY. Here’s a link to an on-line morse code translator to help you out if you need it. http://tinyurl.com/b4eng%5B/quote%5D

Okay, good. So that means that you know someone *outside* of the people on this list that GOT a DWY email! I just can’t believe I am not hearing “whispers” (pun intended) of this on any other blogs!

You called the person who helped you a black swan. Was that his/her initial status in the DWY? Originally I thought that perhaps only white swans were recruited this time around. Maybe not.

I can’t believe I have to translate morse code just to GET to a site that translates hieroglyphics! I think I am just going to be happy with all the cool intel I have already found.

Maybe the DWY just wants to find the biggest geek who spends the most amount of time on the puzzles! LOL

123. Rita says:

[quote comment=”325369″][quote comment=”325358″][/quote]

: ) P[/quote]
    ______________________________
    OK, I think the geek is going to be me. Still working out the MC (thanks for the site Miss Kim!) Honestly, this stuff is HARD!!

124. LINS says:

whew, it took me all weekend to get this stuff figured out…every time i thought i had it checked in here and ya’ll had found more so i had to go back again!! but holy freakin’ cow!! if that face really does belong to the 4ts, how long do you really think it’s been there!!

i know what you mean pj, i can’t even think about last weeks episode anymore…

125. Circus Mom says:

[quote comment=”218034″][quote comment=”218028″]How about in the man behind the curtain (when Ben is standing at the fence):

Man: “Look at me”
    Man: [demonic laugh.]
    Ben: “I’m scared mom.”
    Mom: “It’s all right, (-don’t worry **Over lay**) patience Ben.”

I think this is the strangest one, and if the transcribers are correct, then Ben is hearing himself in the whispers! This seems odd because in particular the “Ben” whispers seem to be from a young child, so it is hard to see how these whispers could be from another time. In this case, at least, it almost seems like this is a conversation that Ben is having at the time with the other whisperers[/quote] I don’t think the male Whisperer is Ben and he is not talking to himself. The “Ben” dialog aren’t whispers (they just included his dialog to show continuity of the scene), remembering the scene, Ben was hearing the man and was scared, his mom showed herself to try to comfort him. Ben was actually talking to the female whisperer I think the male Whisperer is very possibly Jacob himself.[/quote]
    +++++++
    Was the voice we heard as a whisper young Ben after Sayid shot him and before he was revived? I think there is something to this one.

126. Circus Mom says:

Man: “Come to me, I need you. You’re an alchemist and uh…”
    Woman: “I need-”
    Man (Sounds like Christian Shephard): “Sarah, Is somebody coming?”
    Woman: “They must be coming, you-”
    Man: “Hush! One of these-”
    (Shushing- shhh, shht!)
    Woman: “Richard!”
    Man: “Come with us.”
    Woman: “Here’s the recipe.”
    Man: “Oh thank you, I thought I’d lost-”
    Hurley: “Uh oh.”
    +++++

127. PJSander says:

“April Fools Rabbit Sees Self and Dies”

It would appear that our “disappearance” from the main thread this week has stirred up some rather unhappy emotions in a couple of people. Since our *intent* with this April Fools joke was simply to have some harmless fun, we’ve decided not to follow through with it.

It would seem that at least ONE person will be hurt if we did continue and I don’t want that to be the case. This was supposed to be funny, not hurtful.

We planted the seeds in the “Namaste” thread that there was a new DWY ARG. We “flashed” at 9pm Eastern from the “He’s Our You” thread to generate a little intrigue (which apparently it did). Our plan was for one person to post on the “He’s Our You” on Wednesday morning, that the “missing” people had been posting on the Whisperers thread with the hopes that, on that day, April Fools Day, people would come over here and read about all the cool LOST stuff we were talking about. Then at the end of the thread, we’d all post “April Fools” and that would be the end of it. The *worst* that would have happened is that a few people read fifty-odd posts and wasted a bit of time and hopefully got a giggle out it. Clearly, that is NOT the worst, so we’re shutting it down early.

FWIW, my apology to gmtaLeah and the other detractors on the HOY thread was real. I AM sorry, and I wish I knew the real reason they were so angry with me/us. I added the “radio silence” part at the end to continue the intrigue.

April Fools pranks have been part of LOSTlore since the beginning. We didn’t think it would be a big deal – but thought that by planning ahead, and posting throughout the week, it would appear somewhat credible despite the “discovery” being on April first.

So on behalf of those involved in the prank, I apologize if you have been in any way upset by our joke. That was not our intent.

: ) P

We now return to our regularly scheduled Whisperer theorizing.>/b>

Woman: “I need-”
    Man (Sounds like Christian Shephard): “Sarah, Is somebody coming?”
    Woman: “They must be coming, you-”
    Man: “Hush! One of these-”
    (Shushing- shhh, shht!)
    Woman: “Richard!”
    Man: “Come with us.”
    Woman: “Here’s the recipe.”
    Man: “Oh thank you, I thought I’d lost-”
    Hurley: “Uh oh.”
    +++++
    Now Hurley is the cook. I think it’s time to study the whisper transcripts again.[/quote]
    ++++++++++++
    Oh didn’t catch that…good one.

129. LINS says:

[quote comment=”325497″][quote comment=”325427″]Man: “Come to me, I need you. You’re an alchemist and uh…”
    Woman: “I need-”
    Man (Sounds like Christian Shephard): “Sarah, Is somebody coming?”
    Woman: “They must be coming, you-”
    Man: “Hush! One of these-”
    (Shushing- shhh, shht!)
    Woman: “Richard!”
    Man: “Come with us.”
    Woman: “Here’s the recipe.”
    Man: “Oh thank you, I thought I’d lost-”
    Hurley: “Uh oh.”
    +++++
    ++++++++++++
    Oh didn’t catch that…good one.[/quote]

****************
    So here’s a thought that came to me this morning in the shower as I was pondering what CM had mentioned about Hurley and the recipe and the whole whispers thing…what if they aren’t actually dead? What if, as some have theorized, the losties are living in a loop, they were always there in the late 70’s in dharmaville? Someone had used the example of Locke and the plane and perhaps in one loop he saves Boone from dying, but then Boone dies the next time around…so what if the Boone in the alternate timeline is actually the whisperer, and not necessarily dead…I’m not sure how that would all work out, but Hurley, as far as we have seen, isn’t dead, so how could he possibly be a whisperer? Maybe it’s a Hurley from a different timeline?

130. Rita says:

131. LINS says:

So maybe they really are like a security system then, maybe since the island is so big and the others obviously can’t know everything that’s going on at all times, the Whisperers help evaluate when unknown people appear on the island, so maybe Ben/Jacob/whoever knew what Danielle had been through, that the rest of her team had been taken under the Temple by Smokey and would think that the island needed to take her as well but Ben wanted her to remain safe so he told her to avoid them…? That doesn’t seem to make sense as I’m typing it, but nothing I type on here ever does! :)

[quote comment=”329110″]It’s interesting that Ben should have told Danielle to “run the other way if you ever hear whispers” (paraphrase). The whispers are threatening then? Could be harmful? NOT just TT passing through then.[/quote]
    ++++++++++++++++
    Well the whispers happen when the Others appear. I think it was D&C’s way of telling us that is how she was able to stay alive for 16 years AND prove she wasn’t in cahoots with the Others in any way.

Oh, and I agree that the whispers are not TTers passing thru.

Well, looks like we get to wait till January to find out more about the whisperers. D & C still have not addressed them or taken any fan question *g* about them…so I still think they won’t because they are too important to the figuring out the plot.

Things are shaping up for us to hear more about the whisperers in the final season!!

Jacob is a now a whisperer. According to my theory, the whisperers can expose themselves but as of yet have chose to not.

Jacob is exposing himself to Hugo because Hugo is now comfortable with seeing the dead.

137. DocH says:

How many times have we heard ‘whispering’ so far in Season 6, after 5 episodes?